Need some fast opinions on far casting reels!

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
Recently I have been lake trout fishing and don't trust my friends on my boat (Get a bit too rowdy) so were left with shore fishing. Problem is the water rose up 30 feet within a week!

Last week fishing was amazing, were all getting 10 bites in a hour and it was a blast. Having the water rise 30 feet is bit of a problem as we need to cast farther but only one of my poles are able to cast 250-300 ft... Can nearly spool a whole roll of 50lb power pro :D. Its a 12 foot fiberglass rod that has been with me for years with a spinner reel I bought at Costco for 20 bucks if you could believe it haha. We'll I looked up the reel and it seems to be discontinued which sucks!

So can anyone recommend a good spinner reel that hold around 125-150 yards of line that will work well on my other rod which is a 14 foot fiberglass rod?

Thanks in advance!

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
Well I found a reel finally haha. Holds 400 yards of 14 pound line and can EASILY hold 250 yards of 50 pound power pro. Its about 2/3ths of its capacity with 250 yards so looks like I have to buy a larger spool of power pro :).

Personally the EMS6000A is just too large for me but the EMS5000A is large enough to catch any fish I could possibly hook here. First couple casts are average but once the tapered spool is correctly lined you gain about 150 feet on your cast lol! Easily casts 350-400 feet with a smooth cast and if you really launch it 450-575 feet is doable.

Heres the EMS5000A which I bought
http://www.amazon.com/Daiwa-EMS5000A-Emblem-Spinning-Reel/dp/B005BSS0VC

A friend recently bought the daiwa tournament basia 45 qdx reel after he loved my EMS5000A and the 45qdx is literally the best casting reel I have ever used.
http://www.basspro.com/Daiwa-Tournament-Basia-QD-Carp-Spinning-Reel/product/1108110501105/
With the right hand straight up and left hand pulling the butt of the rod to my chest I could cast this reel 600-700 feet easily with some cheap 12 pound mono line.

Daiwa reels with a tapered spool or large spool is the way to go if you want to cast far.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store