Starting a 230ish plywood build

ryno85

Feeder Fish
Jun 24, 2014
Smithville MO
I've been reading here for a while, but this is my first post. I'm starting on a plywood build, approx. 230G. Last night I went and bought my plywood and I'm hoping to get some good progress over the upcoming 3 day weekend.

The outside dimensions will be 66x29x30. I don't own or have access to a truck, so the dimensions were partly based on what I could fit in my car. I had Home Depot make a few cuts so it would fit in the car with the seats folded down. I went with 29" for the depth because the door to the room the tank will be in is 31" wide. I will probably just assemble it in the room, but I wanted to make sure I could remove it later if needed without disassembling. The plywood is 3/4" oak. The glass will be supported by a frame of 2x3s which will be hidden behind oak trim.

Here is a basic drawing I did in SketchUp:
View attachment 1023209
I want the overall look to be similar to this build: http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?214279

I haven't designed the hood yet, but I'm envisioning something that basically just rests on the sides and slides off the front for easy access.

I also haven't really given a lot of thought to the filtration/plumbing yet. On the other side of the wall it's going to sit up against is the unfinished basement with a floor drain, so I'm going to rig up some kind of drain pipe with a valve to make water changes easy.

I mostly came here looking for input on how to waterproof the tank. I had been thinking about fiberglass (at least along the seams, maybe the whole tank) and then paint it with an epoxy paint. But I've also seen some tanks that just use Pond Armor. I'm trying to keep the cost down as much as possible, but I also want to do it right the first time.

The tank will probably house a fahaka puffer.

I will of course be posting pictures of the build as it progresses.

I look forward to hearing your input!

muttley000

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2011
West Unity, OH
Good to see another woody going! I just did a 270 sump, there is a thread here if you care to check it out. After much research and discussion with several successful builders, I did the pour method with no fiberglass. Your tank is a little taller than the one I did. I think you will want a brace around the top, have you thought about or researched this? Looking forward to seeing it come together, and checking out your puffer!

ryno85

Feeder Fish
Jun 24, 2014
Smithville MO
I didn't think I would need a brace on top with the 3/4 inch plywood. I will consider it though, maybe I can make it part of the hood.

muttley000

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2011
West Unity, OH
Well, mine is 26 tall and I had 5/16 "spread" on my 76 inch long sidesthat had a quarter inch thick epoxy applied. I can't say for sure you will or won't need them, but I assume you will have at best similar spread. That would make me nervous if I were putting glass in. Maybe your window framing will act as a brace and keep it flat? Looking forward to whatever you come up with!

ryno85

Feeder Fish
Jun 24, 2014
Smithville MO
Got the stand almost finished. There are 3 more supports to be put in the middle, but I stripped the screwdriver bit and it's too late to run and get another.

IMAG0718.jpg

IMAG0718.jpg

ryno85

Feeder Fish
Jun 24, 2014
Smithville MO
The stand is done and I got the back and right side on the tank. I would have got the left side on too but my cordless drill ran out of battery. I've got to get a corded drill. Not really too exciting to see right now so I will wait on pictures.

Anyway, now I'm working on designing the overflow box that will be in the stand. I have enough leftover plywood to make a box about 48x17x18 which comes out to around 50 gal. Is that big enough for a tank this size? Does the overflow size even really matter, or is it more about the flow? I'm looking at this pump, can anyone tell me if it would work?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store