Filter cartridges – how often do you change them?

Roberts1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2014
Washington
Hey everyone,

I have been getting many conflicting stories from people about this, so I wanted to ask the forum to see what you thought. For both the 10 gallon and 20 gallon tanks, I have the Tetra Whisper filters. When I look at the packaging, it says to replace it each month.

That seems a little excessive; I have seen some people who say that they replace their filter cartridge anywhere between a month or a year.

I have not changed the filter in both tanks for about 9 months. The water quality is still excellent and I have clear water. I swish the cartridge in water every week to clean it. However, my cartridge is starting to look dirty and it has taken a brownish shade. I even have some algae growing on it now.

Considering that the used filter is home to many beneficial bacteria, how do I go about changing it for a fresh one safely? I have been enjoying a stable tank here and I would not want to cause a drastic change because of changing the filter.

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
which filter do you have? I change mine when it gets so dirty that it starts to float out of the container,then I rinse it out with a garden hose.I have a fluval 110 after about three times I replace it with a new one,because like you said it starts to get dis colored and not clean as well.If your tank is established it has bacteria in the gravel and rocks so do not do a water change for at least two week so bacteria will colonize the new pad you put in,should have no problems if you do not do a water change like I said and feed light for a couple of days.If you are really worried about it you can take water out of your tank and ring out old pad and let it settle to the bottom and dip you new one in.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
which filter do you have? I change mine when it gets so dirty that it starts to float out of the container,then I rinse it out with a garden hose.I have a fluval 110 after about three times I replace it with a new one,because like you said it starts to get dis colored and not clean as well.If your tank is established it has bacteria in the gravel and rocks so do not do a water change for at least two week so bacteria will colonize the new pad you put in,should have no problems if you do not do a water change like I said and feed light for a couple of days.If you are really worried about it you can take water out of your tank and ring out old pad and let it settle to the bottom and dip you new one in.
Solid advice. The more often you change the mechanical filter pad(s) the better because all the crud on it will ultimately convert to nitrate. While nitrate is no where near as toxic as ammonia or nitrate it is still a toxin and is cumulative in effect. The best way to check for this is with a water testing kit.

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
Yes - no need to replace (ever really), just rinse them out (weekly or so) to remove the accumulated gunk. Less gunk = less stuff to produce nitrate.

I rinse mine in a bucket of tank water. It's amazing how nasty the water turns...

Matt

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store