Submersible pump for water changes

slippery slimecoat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
New York
Interested in getting a submersible pump that I can hook to a garden hose to drain my tank. Tank is a 120 gallon. Normally drain about 80 gallons per water change. Any suggestions on a pump that would be good for this?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
If you use a sump, just put a Tee with a hose barb to the "return to sump" line, and you don't need an extra pump.
When I open a valve (below the Tee in the photo below), instead of water going to the sump, it is sent to my yard.

The sump to the left of the valve is a 75 gal tank, takes about 5 minutes to send 50 gallons to the yard.
Tap water is then returned to the sump, as opposed to the tank, which lessens accidental temp shock, and gas bubble embolism in winter when tap water here is supersaturated.
The red float valve on the right prevents sump overflow.

slippery slimecoat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
New York
Here you go
http://www.poolcenter.com/p/frame-s...116&e8=B3516&gclid=CPKJ36CRqb8CFQovaQod0GMA6A

You'll just need a longer output hose. I've seen 50' 1.25" hose going for about $25. Will drain that 120 in minutes.
Thanks! Not quite what I was thinking of, but I may have to look into this. I was picturing a pump I could throw right in the tank. I already have a garden hose. It would be nice if I could get away with not needing more tubing/hoses laying around.

If you use a sump, just put a Tee with a hose barb to the "return to sump" line, and you don't need an extra pump.
When I open a valve (below the Tee in the photo below), instead of water going to the sump, it is sent to my yard.

The sump to the left of the valve is a 75 gal tank, takes about 5 minutes to send 50 gallons to the yard.
Tap water is then returned to the sump, as opposed to the tank, which lessens accidental temp shock, and gas bubble embolism in winter when tap water here is supersaturated.
The red float valve on the right prevents sump overflow.
That's a nice design you have. Unfortunately I do not run a sump and am not in a position to do something like this at this time. Although, we are planning an addition in the next couple years and I will hopefully be upgrading with the addition. I will remember this for the future! Thank you.

TRENT

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2007
OREGON
Any of the Mag pumps will work. I use a mag 18 to drain. Takes literally minutes. Find a used Mag pump on one of the fish forums or EBay.

slippery slimecoat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
New York
Any of the Mag pumps will work. I use a mag 18 to drain. Takes literally minutes. Find a used Mag pump on one of the fish forums or EBay.
Thanks. I was just looking at them online. Will a garden hose attach directly to them? It looked like it did in the pic I saw.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store