Does my Temensis have a disease?

Blystone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2014
Philadelphia suburbs
Here is a picture of my 3" cichla temensis. Notice the white coloration on the top of his tail. Does my fish have a disease? If so, what is it and how do I treat it? How did he get it and how do I prevent it?

20140703_010013.jpeg

catfishacr

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Iowa City, IA
Can you get a better close up pic of the tail? Does the white stuff on its tail look fuzzy or like cotton? If so could be a fungus. Im no expert with fish disease but figured Id try to help ya!

Blystone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2014
Philadelphia suburbs
That fish moves fast so it is hard to get a decent picture. To be honest, I've seen fungus where it is white and fluffy and sticks out off of the fish and this really doesn't look like that. The disease could be in the early stages which is why it does not look that way but it's almost as if there is nothing there but the discoloration.

catfishacr

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Iowa City, IA
okay. What are your water perimeters? If your water is good and it's eating and acting normal then I would just keep an eye on it. Maybe do more water changes for a week or two and see if that helps. You can also had some aquarium salt.

Blystone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2014
Philadelphia suburbs
Ammonia and nitrites are good, nitrates are a bit high. I'm doing some water changes and also adding some filtration. Right now I have 2 eheim 2217s running on the tank (125 gallon) and I am adding a third this week. There is also a powerhead.

I started with Melafix this past week and it seems to be clearing up. Must have been something bacterial.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store