South Florida Canals

spadoc79

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2010
tallahassee, florida
Whats your go-to rig and bait/lure for fishing the canals in S. Florida? I was down there for a day, last week, and only had a broke back rapala. Caught 1 small LMB but saw lots of peacock bass and mayan cichlids that wouldn't bite.

Thanks

tampa_bass

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2012
your girlfriend's
3-4" live shiners are the go to for peacocks. They can't resist. Mayans will take worms,minnows, and small cut bait before lures..

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Aicdt97

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2018
Miami
I know old thread but it seems since 2014 the miami canals are full of SA/CA and american cichlids..not to mention thousands of 2 feet long plecos..my friend working FIU university..its not caughting the jaguar s at 15 in or the thousands of Oscars, red devils 12 in, even arrowana's 2 feet..even dovii have been caught..and lastly 20lbs pacu's...he was telling me their science team goes 10 miles into the everglades and they find these 1 in cichlids all over ..my point there are more aquarium fish taking over the everglades than the native fish..these pet supermarket and pet smart and petcos sell 10 gallon tanks and tell customers pacu's and large cichlid are fine for those tanks..so 2 months later..there canals everwhere and it hot with warm water..so instead of finding new home they chuck them in canals that spread to everglades..just like the python invasion..i dont blame the ignorant kid..but these corporation.. Selling these fish like iridescent sharks that get 3 feet long..if u fish in miami canal youthize invassive species

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store