Sep 27, 2007
have I missed any step by step builds?

Show off what you've come up with :naughty:

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
How diy are you trying to go? Diy led title only search popped up 4 pages from mild (using different application leds) to wild (heatsink and soldering and such)

Deubie Doo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2012
Rootstown, Ohio
www.facebook.com
I got a bunch of the LED Christmas lights but theirs not vary bright once you get them on the tank and they ended up taking up a lot of space. But I did see someone on YouTube that made a moon light by taking a hood light and using a dark blue window tint from a auto shop and pputting it under it. Simple but effective

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
My whole fish room is DIY LED lighting.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
I tried to look it up, im guessing you posted on someone else's thread. Can you post the link?

I just did not see a diy led thread n I think we need a sticky since LED's seem to be the way lighting is going.
How to chose the best colors, equipment used, tools, etc...

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
I tried to look it up, im guessing you posted on someone else's thread. Can you post the link?

I just did not see a diy led thread n I think we need a sticky since LED's seem to be the way lighting is going.
How to chose the best colors, equipment used, tools, etc...

We could make a sticky, good idea.

My LEDs are in my fish room thread.

PhysicsDude

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2011
Dallas, TX
I made a completely DIY LED setup, and control it using a few transistors and an Arduino. It was very cost effective (the entire ~70 watt setup cost me around $80) but EXTREMELY time intensive. I built it about 3 years ago. Now there are a lot of kits and plug and play type setups that you can buy.

I personally use LEDs and other parts from LEDGroupBuy.com They have a good selection of reasonably priced stuff, and will give you a starting point.

Do not use christmas lights. They just don't produce very much light and are a PITA to mount.

If you're going to do something simple and cheap, then get some 12V white light ribbons, and a 12V power supply, and staple the light ribbon to the hood of your tank. Very simple and effective.

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
I made a completely DIY LED setup, and control it using a few transistors and an Arduino. It was very cost effective (the entire ~70 watt setup cost me around $80) but EXTREMELY time intensive. I built it about 3 years ago. Now there are a lot of kits and plug and play type setups that you can buy.

I personally use LEDs and other parts from LEDGroupBuy.com They have a good selection of reasonably priced stuff, and will give you a starting point.

Do not use christmas lights. They just don't produce very much light and are a PITA to mount.

If you're going to do something simple and cheap, then get some 12V white light ribbons, and a 12V power supply, and staple the light ribbon to the hood of your tank. Very simple and effective.
Nice, thanks for your input. I'll check that link out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store