New Setup for Fly River Turtle (Pig Nose Turtle), need advice!

justinashouri

Feeder Fish
Jul 3, 2014
Los Angeles
Hello everyone, I recently adopted a Pig nose turtle from my friends college because she needed the home. I am going to go pick her up next Tuesday. I currently have a 150 gallon tank (with filters, light, stand, and heater) that I am going to set up in my bedroom for her. I also have some small and big nice rocks for the aquarium that I need to clean and was thinking about getting sand.

Some basic questions if anyone has the knowledge or has had the experience!

1) Is there anything I should know about what water to initially fill the tank with as well as specific (the best) cleaning supplies for rock and tank.

2) Is it possible for me to setup my tank and a self sustaining take so there is little/or low upkeep for me moving forward (including specific plants in the habitat etc.).

3) Any additional tips or things to look out for, for being a first FTR owner?

Thank you in advanced for any helpful advice. I am excited to get this tank set up and get my turtle healthy and happy while I put together a 250-300 gallon for her!

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
I know this will sound harsh and i am sorry but Sounds like that is not the appropriate wet pet for you to house by your questions.

My advice find someone who will care for it and knows more to make sure it will live a long life.

Next question. Is it really a fly river turtle?

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

Silent Bob

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2011
Plainfield, IL
So let's see if I have this right. You have adopted a FRT? You have a tank that is not even set up, not even running and not even cycled?

Why don't we start with the basics. How about a picture of the turtle to verify it is indeed an FRT. How about some info on the size of turtle so we can tell you if a 150 would even work for a short time before needing an upgrade.

Sounds like a great friend but I have my doubts. Starting with something as simple as they didn't give you any info on how to keep such a rare and special animal? I agree with Didysis that if it is indeed an FRT please find a more qualified keeper to care for the turtle.

sevank21

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
In My House
"Adopted FRT"? Damn, wish I could adopt one lol

Sent from my SGH-M919 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005