PVC overflow vs pre made overflow

Deubie Doo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2012
Rootstown, Ohio
www.facebook.com
This is the first time I'm making a sump. My tanks not drilled so I'm going to use an overflow. Not trying to be a cheap a** but for my 125, could I get away with making 2 overflows with 1 inch pipe to get 900gph or is it just better to spend the extra money to get a store bought over flow. I've been told that people have had them clog but I would be using a screen or mesh over the top. Any thoughts or experience? Would it save me money? And the tank is going to be SW if anyone needs to know that. Any help please.

Deubie Doo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2012
Rootstown, Ohio
www.facebook.com
Anyone?

Deubie Doo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2012
Rootstown, Ohio
www.facebook.com
Why not just drill the tank, it's a lot easier then one might think. DIY would be the way to go IMO cheap, easy, and works like a champ.

Sent from my SM-G900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Because I don't want to. I plan on getting a larger tank and switching everything out one day and using this tank for other reasons. What happends with it latter on down the road the holes may effect it. That's just me tho

Deubie Doo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2012
Rootstown, Ohio
www.facebook.com

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
It would be too much. I have it on a 55g, same setup (1" PVC and 900gph pump) and it runs perfectly. The valves are turned 100% open and have had no flooding yet. Keep in mind even though your pump is rated for 900gph, it will actually pushing out less. You have to account for the height that it's pushing the water up and all the turns in the pipe. Unless you're going with 2 pumps, that doesn't really sound like enough for a tank your size.

Edit: sorry I was thinking about the powerhead, that's rated at 900gph. My actual pump is rated around 475 so your 2 1" overflows should work

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Deubie Doo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2012
Rootstown, Ohio
www.facebook.com
It would be too much. I have it on a 55g, same setup (1" PVC and 900gph pump) and it runs perfectly. The valves are turned 100% open and have had no flooding yet. Keep in mind even though your pump is rated for 900gph, it will actually pushing out less. You have to account for the height that it's pushing the water up and all the turns in the pipe. Unless you're going with 2 pumps, that doesn't really sound like enough for a tank your size.

Edit: sorry I was thinking about the powerhead, that's rated at 900gph. My actual pump is rated around 475 so your 2 1" overflows should work

Yeah it's the same pump my budy has on his 120. So the 2 over flows at 1 inch would be good? Or is their another size you would recamend to get to 900?

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
You could probably bump the pipe size to 1-1/4" or 1-1/2" instead of having 2 1" pipes but if you want 2 overflows, 1 on each side, than the 2 1" pipes should be fine. When I had my 150, I had a single 2" pipe and a 2000gph pump

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have some tanks with manufactured overflow boxes, some drilled, and I tried building a few U or J type PVC DIY overflows. Maybe its me, but the PVC DIY never worked to my satisfaction, they would occasionally lose siphon, and I'd end up with tanks overflowing on the floor, and occasionally plug up and do the same.
I prefer to drill all tanks and put at least 1.5" PVC (2"even better) on the drilled overflows, 1 inch has been too easy to get plugged with plant debris, a dead fish etc etc after a snail lodged itself in the line. The same can happen with manufactured type.
here is a CPR brand I have

the normal siphon type

and drilled

the above is on my first drill, a 20 gallon, but since that time I have used the same drill bit, to drill 50s, more 20s, a 75, and some 100+ tanks, and probably saved $1000 on buying overflows, and reduced a tank overflowing onto the floor to 0.
None of my tanks require any more than 1 hole (1.5" PVC) per tank, and I run 3 to 5 tanks per sump with 2000gph pumps. My plan is to drill them all.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store