Feed frontosa feeders

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
I've been thinking about using some feeder fish to add to my fronts diet I was going to breed convicts and use they fry I read in nature frontosa will feed at night when fish are sleeping so my idea was going to be to get a bunch of convict fry and freeze em in cubes then drop em in at night not as a staple but as a add in

Your ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I must be soft, but that sounds quite brutal for the fry. I guess putting them in live, they would survive though...as cons do.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
It's not cruel it's like farming, on a smaller scale I buy frozen chicken from the store why can't I freeze my own fish food.

I like the idea of "growing" my own food that's why I was going the convict route I will still buy krill, blood worms, and have pellets just thinking of another food source

poppalina

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2010
Boston
Actually you could get some cherry red shrimp, breed them and use them for food. I haven't tried it yet but they are supposedly very easy to breed. I don't feed my Fronts fish as I don't want to encourage the behavior. I don't want them to assume any fish I add to the tank is food, and I have been pretty lucky being able to keep a colony of Jumbo Cyps with them.

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
See I was scared because I read that feeding feeders would encourage teach them that small fry are food and they may eat their own fry.. I'll look into the cherry shrimp I did have ghost shrimp for a while but cherries would be easier for the fronts to see

manafel

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2012
tulsa, oklahoma
Instead of breeding convicts, how about setting up a breeding colony of Cyprichromis sp.? Fish of this genus are what the fronts primarily prey upon in the wild.
While I have heard of people doing this, I can't quite understand why, as cyps. Are generally pretty e pensive fish, and you can sell the fry for some good money... Very expensive feeders IMO

Sent from my HTCONE using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store