Pls help, My 4" oscar is breathing heavy and not eating

Jayfish7

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
New York
I just noticed yesterday my oscar acting very strange...

He is breathing pretty heavy, not interested in the food and looks to be zoned out at the bottom of the tank.. or swims to the middle..

he was normally the 1st one to notice me when i get home and always at the top of the tank ready to eat!

but since yesterday he is having those problems stated above..

I do weekly water changes (180g tank and do roughly 30G water change) - the Conditions are and have always been

PH 8.0
Nitrite - 0
Amm - 0
Nitrate - 10ppm

i havent added new fish or anything..

what could this be? he was perfectly fine a day and a half ago!

pls help.. thank you!

virgil2090

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2011
NJ
I would do a WC, and add an airstone to increase the oxygen.does the oscar have any tankmates? I think you should in increase to 50% wc schedule

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I would do a WC, and add an airstone to increase the oxygen.does the oscar have any tankmates? I think you should in increase to 50% wc schedule

Agree 30 gal isn't enough. Are there any visible wounds ? What kind of tank mates? Did you recently change the decor of the tank or move something to a new spot?
Also whats the temp?

Jayfish7

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
New York
the temp is 80... i just finished a 50% WC as i posted the opening thread... He doesnt have any new wounds ... the decor hasnt been moved.. and he is the most aggressive (and biggest) in the tank lol.. i also have an air wand running 24/7.. (should i add more?!)

i got a GT, Severum - Uaru - baby Jag 2" and him... (180g tank)

i hope the water change does the trick!

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Not sure maybe some sort of bullying is stressing him out and your not seeing it how big is the gt

Jayfish7

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
New York
the GT is the same size... they go at it often... but its a few seconds and then its over... if he did get bullied , how long is normal till he gets over it.. cause since ive been home i havent seen any bullying ...

Jayfish7

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
New York
this morning he is still not eating and breathing very heavy and not really swimming around much.. i have no idea what happened but it seems like it happened out of no where..i also noticed a solid white stool coming from him... not stringy , just white... not sure what to do

he is also swimming funny now :( , ... a little wobbly at a slow pace

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
this morning he is still not eating and breathing very heavy and not really swimming around much.. i have no idea what happened but it seems like it happened out of no where..i also noticed a solid white stool coming from him... not stringy , just white... not sure what to do

he is also swimming funny now :( , ... a little wobbly at a slow pace
The poo was gonna be my next question... I had a cl who I suspected of having internal l parasites I used tetra parasite gaurd. You can also soak the food in epsom salt but your guy isn't eating
You need to start a new thread in the health section

Jayfish7

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
New York
i might have to use a parasite guard.. i just noticed him flash.. 2xs.. so im guessing he has some kind of parasite... whats the best method and treatment..

good idea.. thanks jaws

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store