How long will a 125g growout last!

Jakob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Iceland
So Im trying to estimate how long I have to finish the 340gal Im building. I will do it as fast as I can but it would be nice to be able to estimate how much I have to spend every month on the tank.
I was thinking about adding a couple motoros, 2 females, they should arrive in beginning of august at 6" (disc size).
My male motoro has grown 3" since I got him a year ago and is now 10".
I will divide the tank if he will show too much aggression towards the females.
The tank is a standard 125g, filtration gives the tank 10x turnovers per hour.
How long do I have until I have until the 3 rays are too big for the 125g?
I was thinking about trying to finish the project by the end of the year, but I just want to know how long I will have?
I know its hard to estimate each rays growth, as it is different to each ray, but just estimsting the time I have would be of great help. Maybe telling me at what size the three of them will need to be moved at?
I can do large w/c twice a week if needed.
Sent from my C6603 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Sent from my C6603 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

scott s

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2010
Indiana
6 months will not be a problem as long as you have good filteration and keep up on the w/c. Watch the parameters to be sure the extra bio load does not cause the filter to cycle.
I would not add anymore stock than that though.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

scott s

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2010
Indiana
Sorry, I forgot your male is already 10"...you will be pushing the limits of tank and filtration.

Pups only are not an issue for a 125g. I kept one pup in a 125 for 1 year. But I started having water quality issues (wc 2x per week) when I added a second pup and the first one was already 10".

The pups will need to be fed 2x daily till they are established which in turn adds more to the bio load.

I personally would recommend not adding any more pups to the system till you can put the larger male in the big tank.

He should be fine till the new tank is running.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store