Help pls!.. PICS!

Jayfish7

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
New York
My oscar stopped eating 2 days ago and is breathing very heavy.. i noticed him flash 2xs today and then i saw this and snapped a pic.. pls help! what do to!

oscar2.jpgoscar3.jpg

oscar2.jpg

oscar3.jpg

Jayfish7

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
New York
i dont want to just dump meds into the tank not knowing for sure whats the problem... parasite? constipation? bateria? .. he doesnt eat and doesnt really move around too much right now.. getting a little worried.. thx

i did a 45% water change yesterday

suprd71

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2012
North Bay Ontario Canada
Damn.. that looks real bad. Looks like its expelled part of its intestine. If it drops off, possibly not, but that is in no way a normal excretion. Wish I had something to offer here, but I have not seen something to that degree.

Jayfish7

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
New York
ohhh and if it matters.. he did eat a house fly the day before this happened... (1st bug he has ate).. but from all knowledge that what they do/eat... :( no idea

Jayfish7

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
New York
Damn.. that looks real bad. Looks like its expelled part of its intestine. If it drops off, possibly not, but that is in no way a normal excretion. Wish I had something to offer here, but I have not seen something to that degree.
thats what my wife said lol .... it feel off.. well broke off then the rest fell off.. so im thinking its not.. maybe a worm? or just very constipated? dunno whats wrong or what to do, appreciate any help or comments

Trap Music

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2014
United States
It's hard to say what the problem is. I really doubt that was his intenstine. Constipated is more what I am thinking as I have seen my fish swim a little distressed, their eating habits are off but then it comes out later on. I would continue watching him, test your water to. I always found great water to be the remedy for many issues. Now if theres bacterial, fungal, or parasite thats a different story but having good water parameters really helps.

suprd71

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2012
North Bay Ontario Canada
Ok, great that it fell off. Does his regular diet have any veg matter in it? Very important for omnivorous cichlids. If he wont eat any raw veg, and I understand that he wont eat anything at the moment, but a spirulina based pellet is a good addition to the diet. Or you can get spirulina powder from a health food store and sprinkle on damp food like raw shrimp or tilapia. I also totally concur with keeping the water pristine. Should you end up having to treat and are pressed for room spare tank wise, a big Rubbermaid tote will suffice. An hob fits nicely on them. It never hurts to start with an epsom salt treatment, 3-4 days. Beyond that API General Cure is a decent broad spectrum med, but tough call when you cant pinpoint the exact ailment.

Jayfish7

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
New York
the water is good

0 amm and nitrites
8.0 ph
10ppm nitrate

did a 45% water change yesterday and do weekly water changes..

as for his diet.. its based on hikari gold with frozen BW or Brine shrimp treats once a week

i never tried to feed him straight veg's.. im sure he would eat it since he's a garbage pal! (lol) .. but at the moment he is NOT himself.. he isnt eating at all (which scares me since he wouldnt stop eating before) he hoovers by a plant i have in teh center of the tank or in the corner by my bubble curtain. and is really breathing heavy..

he has no spots on him, his fins and gills look good.. his coloring looks very good and clean.. there is defintily something wrong and then he "pooped" that think white thing (which i grabbed out of the tank once he dropped!)

i guess ill go with the salt treatment in my tank... but i just have no idea what this could be?... could he have gotten constipated from the fly he ate the night before? that is the only difference in what he has eaten over the past few weeks

thx all

satyajit82

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2013
India
It is Hex, internal parasite problem. Treat using Epsom salt and raise the temp. That should work, if not you have to use Metrozeol soaked pallets. There is already a thread dedicated on this in the FlowerHorn section (sticky). The first symptom is not eating, and the main symptom is the white cotton like poop.
Also in youtube there are videos which will show you how to deworm. But thats the last resort...

Hope this will help you.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store