Anyone keep matis shrimp?

Deubie Doo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2012
Rootstown, Ohio
www.facebook.com
My girlfriends looking into starting a tank and really wants a peacock mantis shrimp. Anyone keep any? And is the myth that they can brake fish tanks really true?

muttley000

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2011
West Unity, OH
I want to have one some day in a species tank plumbed into the multitank system I am setting up. I have heard of several tank breeks due to them, some documented on YouTube. Good luck and look forward to seeing how you come out.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
I've kept 1 but not on purpose. It came as a hitchhiker on some live rock. It is definitely true that they can shatter glass tanks. That's why it's recommended to only keep them in acrylic tanks but they're pretty easy to care for. Just make sure that the water is perfect. They're very sensitive to fluctuations in water parameters

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
They make wondrous pets, kept solo. And some species are beautyfull.

And yes, they do break glass.

Deubie Doo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2012
Rootstown, Ohio
www.facebook.com
Like dose the tank have to be small end like 50g or under or can it be any size to brake it? Yeah they really are beautiful but I think I'm more of a fan of the zebra mantis shrimp hah

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
The zebras are great, but having caught and kept them before I can assure you that if it's happy it will stay buried in the sand most of the time. Really cool to feed, but they are shy little ambush predators.

On a side note, my pistol shrimp always *sounds* like it's breaking the glass in my 29g (sounds just like it cracked), but no harm has been done. Fortunately he doesn't get bigger than 2"! If you're trying to pick a glass tank to put the mantis in, just be sure you're aware of how big these guys get.

imThatGuy

Feeder Fish
Jul 13, 2014
Millersville, Pennsylvania
I work with Mantis Shrimp daily. Depending on if the Mantis Shrimp your looking at is a slasher, smasher, or spearer, will depend on how you set up your tank. A smasher can break glass tanks if bothered, so I would recommend an acrylic tank if you really want a smasher mantis shrimp, then that's the way to go. However, the spearer and slasher are also very dangerous and interesting.

Deubie Doo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2012
Rootstown, Ohio
www.facebook.com
I work with Mantis Shrimp daily. Depending on if the Mantis Shrimp your looking at is a slasher, smasher, or spearer, will depend on how you set up your tank. A smasher can break glass tanks if bothered, so I would recommend an acrylic tank if you really want a smasher mantis shrimp, then that's the way to go. However, the spearer and slasher are also very dangerous and interesting.

I was told that the main areas of a glass tank that will brake is the bottom of the tank because if when they drag their food into the burrow, they do the finishing blows and banging on the glass in the same spot will weaken the glass causing it to brake. The tank won't brake from them hitting the sides of the tank, but if was told that the only time they would really hit the same spot of the glass on the side would be if it was next to the burrow. If that's true couldn't you but a thick piece of acrylic form lows on the bottom of the tank?

Xray_chic

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2011
California
I've had my peacock mantis for about a year in a glass 15gallon. I have a good layer of sand and several PVC tubes. He lives and kills in the tubes. Probably why I've gotten away with the glass tank. So far anyway. I also have a damsel fish that he has never bothered. I regularly buy him snails, hermit crabs, and red crabs. I've read they can lose their clubs if they don't use them. He eats pellets in between. I have some big snails for cleaning, they last a while longer than the rest. ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1406080736.349055.jpgImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1406080760.113222.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store