What's your favorite "Wet Pet" (Central/South American cichlids)

mendoanmantap

Feeder Fish
Jul 4, 2014
wanghiston
One of my 75 gals has a Salvini pair and all that jazz, now with my other 75 gallon tank, I want to start of the new year with something new. I want to move some stuff around and have that 75 gal tank be the home for a large "wet pet" as some say. What are some of the largest and more personable cichlid species I could have in a 75 gal its whole life? Always wanted to try Red tiger Motas but have now heard that they can be quite skittish?.. Id like an active but large fish that will learn to eat from my hand and not just sit around unless its feeding time. For example,I love jack dempsey cichlids but when they get to adult size, Ive found that unless you are feeding them, they sit around in a cave and chill most of the time..I want a really active cichlid! What would your choice be??

cambrew

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2013
Australia
I have been down the road of trying to find less common and rare fish to have something a little different to everyone else but have learnt over time that the best fish are generally the more common ones mainly because there is a reason that they are common which is because there is demand for them and there is demand for them because they are really the most desirable fish. I have now ended up with a Carpintis, White saum, Salvini and various catfish. My carpintis is on his own in a 75 and is a great wet pet, I think some of the best wet pets you are going to find are those Central Americans that reach approx 12" like and Oscar, Texas, Red devil or Gold saum as when all of these reach a decent size are very interactive. You don't really want anything much over 12" if you want it to be happy in a 75 either.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Big ole tilapia buttikoferi is a great wet pet. Very amusing social and interactive cichlid would be fine in a 75g for life but likely wouldnt play nice with tankmates once big

Crazy mike

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2012
Vacaville,California
My 90 is gonna ne home for my male Blackbelt and he's personable. Color is great to.uploadfromtaptalk1404538031845.jpg

Sent from my VS840 4G

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
I think a butti will get too big for a 75 eventually.
I love my red devil/Midas. A lot of fun to own. But pretty aggressive. Won't eat from my hand but will bite me. Always greets me. Active most of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1404542293.598441.jpg

swifty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2013
California
Yeah, dempseys IME tend to be pretty relaxed. I had a 4" a while back for a few months. While it was a nice fish, it did nothing but sit behind a rock nearly 24/7. Although I did pick one up the other day and he seems to be much more active. Again, that might be because he's with other cichlids. Definitely don't seem like a fish that like to be alone.

I'm partial to flowerhorns. They're extremely active and always up to something.

Empyreal

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
You could go the flowerhorn route, although obviously a hybrid. They are very personable due to their background. However, I think 75 would be the least size you could put one in so make sure adequate filtration and water changes.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Reaper13

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2013
Southeast
Some type of Vieja would be your best bet. You really can't hand feed something with teeth & a bad attitude

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Oscars my vote for personality reasons...jeff rapps has some less common o's lile bumblee oscars and red tail Bahia oscars.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Reactions: ___James___
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store