New Geophagus

Jhncf

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2014
Scotland
Picked up 3 Geophagus Surinam yesterday, got a bit of a deal as I took the largest one in the tank, one of its eyes are badly damaged but apparently it's an old wound and his other eye is perfectly fine. Still settling in, my Syn did a bit of chasing in the beginning but after a night in the breeding net to let them settle in he's back in and has calmed down. Few pics of my other fish too which will all be moved to the 260 when it arrives, my Syn and Oscar are best of friends, never leave each others side lol..

ss720

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2005
Norway
Congratulations!

I was very close to getting some geophagus myself.

I'm very jealous!

Jhncf

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2014
Scotland
Thanks, they have great personality and they look amazing! Will be adding a few more when I have the 260 set up. The Oscar is fine with the java fern, he's so placid, doesn't bother anybody! Not sure how he's be with plants rooted into the substrate though.

Jhncf

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2014
Scotland
Well the Vieja had to be separated, wasn't being overly aggressive but the geos were always on edge and the largest of the three with one eye had been nipped a bit on his blind side, will return the vieja to the main tank when the 260 comes.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I know many people don't go along with this, but Central American cichlids are on an an entirely different aggression level plain than most South Americans.
I find any Vieja/Paraneetroplus complex (even the relatively mild mannered synsilum/melanura) are simply too aggressive to be kept with Geos, oscars, etc.
I keep both Central and South American, but not together, their natural waters and territorial attitudes are as different as Africans are to new world cichlids.
And to allow Geophagines to come to full potential, ie flowing fin streamers, and bright color, I find keeping Centrals in a separate tank is key.

Jhncf

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2014
Scotland
Are there any large-ish south Americans that would work with my current stocking? I'll be increasing the geo numbers to at least 6, I like Uarus but I've never seen them for sale here. Thanks for your reply, very helpful :)

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
severum might worh

shawe1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2013
Hertfordshire, England
I know many people don't go along with this, but Central American cichlids are on an an entirely different aggression level plain than most South Americans.
I find any Vieja/Paraneetroplus complex (even the relatively mild mannered synsilum/melanura) are simply too aggressive to be kept with Geos, oscars, etc.
I keep both Central and South American, but not together, their natural waters and territorial attitudes are as different as Africans are to new world cichlids.
And to allow Geophagines to come to full potential, ie flowing fin streamers, and bright color, I find keeping Centrals in a separate tank is key.
+1

I have tried mixing CA and SA so many times and the inevitable always happens. The CA's generally end up getting too aggressive - its almost like they enjoy a fight instead of being territorial.

Definitely worth keeping geos and similar SA's with others from the same waters.

I currently have a 1.5inch sajica in a full SA set up and he has just started trying to dominate my 4/5 inch orangehead tapajos and straight away the Orangeheads behaviour becomes less natural. No longer sifting and much less inactive.

Def do either one or the other..

Sent from my GT-I9195 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

shawe1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2013
Hertfordshire, England
Are there any large-ish south Americans that would work with my current stocking? I'll be increasing the geo numbers to at least 6, I like Uarus but I've never seen them for sale here. Thanks for your reply, very helpful :)
Either Uarus or Chocolates cichlids are a good mix

Sent from my GT-I9195 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store