Carib Sea Torpedo Beach Sand...Rinse or No?

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Hey everyone will be buy some bags of torpedo beach sand. Just wondering do you guys rinse out the sand or just add the sand to the tank...if not mistaken apparently it "cycles" your tank I doubt that and will be using the ammonia drops to cycle...

Also do you guys have an idea on how to tell how many 20 pound bags are needed to cover a given area? Thanks!

Tiretrackeel lover

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2012
Westminster co
I always clean my sand before putting it in my tank. Just little by little out the sand into a bucket and add water while stirring with your hand. Then pour out the water & continue. Repeat this until the water runs clear. And I believe it is 1 pound of sand per gallon, but I found I used a little bit less. It's just a personal prefrance. Hope I could help!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Hey thanks a million, have you used torpedo beach or any sand from carib sea? This sand if not mistaken is sold with the sand in water which apparently is full of life---I doubt it. Do you think I should rinse it out anyway?

Thanks Again

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
I'm not sure exactly which type I've used but it was also from Carib sea. I used it for my reef tank and since it was already in water, I didn't bother rinsing it and it was fine. Then again, mine was live sand submerged in salt water so I didn't wanna kill off the bacteria. Any sand I use that is dry though, I always rinse off first

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Ive used a lot of caribsea and hate washing sand and dont bother. The wet stuff is fine and the dry stuff barely cloyds at all. It wont instantly cycle you aquarium though despite their magic solution

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
I rinse all of mine. It's not that hard to do.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Hey thanks everyone for your replies, greatly appreciate it. Im ordering the bags online since I found them for about $19 for 20 pounds...cheapest I can find. If they are submerged in there water I won't rinse...if it is dry for some reason...I will defiantly rinse like when I used pool filter sand 2 years ago.

Thanks greatly appreciate!

stingray keeper

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2013
Canada
If its there instant aquarium type then definitely do not rinse. That would defeat the purpose of the sand being packaged with the bacteria and all. Even if you ordered the super natural type it is so clean that you do not need to rinse it. Beautiful product.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store