Corys with Cichlids

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
How big of cichlids have you guys found to be ok with Corys? I know they are less likely to be eated than like an oto, or a smaller tetra, because they get bigger, and because of their shape and spines, but how big of a cichlid to too big to be with typical corys (bronze, plateus)?

Some of the fish I am specifically curious about are Severus Notatus, Larger Geophagus, Satanaperca, Nics, Heckelii, and Astronotatus Crassipinnis (Smaller member of Oscar family, according to Fishbase only get to around 9 inches). Just curious!

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I keep Corydorus erhardti with Gymnogeophagus balzani without a problem, and Aspidorus spilotus with Guianacara. Any of the smaller mouthed cichlids would probably ignore corys.
I wouldn't try crassipinnis or any cichlid with a predatory, gaping mouth, unless it was only temporary, and/or the oscar was very small. Even then, I'd worry a young oscar would try eating a small cory, and then die trying.

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
How would you say Severum Notatus would be then? They have fairly small mouths, Id say. Yeah, i am sure any kind of Oscar might be an issue, although with they are so variable that Ive heard everything from, "They kill any thing I put in with them" to, "I kept a full grown pair with tetras and otos."

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
How would you say Severum Notatus would be then? They have fairly small mouths, Id say. Yeah, i am sure any kind of Oscar might be an issue, although with they are so variable that Ive heard everything from, "They kill any thing I put in with them" to, "I kept a full grown pair with tetras and otos."

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
Interesting about the Bandit Cichlids... I have a full grown male Bandit with fish much smaller than corys, and very small corys and he never touched them. I think sometimes fish learn things from each other, like if one does, the others will start to.

TripleW

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2012
Iowa
I keep corys in with my 10" A. Rivulatus and he doesn't even pay attention to them.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I had to look up bandit cichlid, seems that's the same as Guianacara.
I have Aspidorus with them no prob, (I believe Aspidorus are considered part of the cory group). In fact when I moved my Guianacara to a different tank it was the addition of Aspidorus that made them feel comfortable.
As for sevs, I haven't kept them since the 1960s, so I can't speculate.

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
I had no problem with sevs and cories. Would do it again without any hesitation.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store