Fresh Water Setup 265 Gallon - Should I get overflows?

blacksnow

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2009
Monoculus ;)
I finally purchased a house and can get back into aquariums =)

I'm looking at the marineland 265 gallon tank (84"x24"x30").

The setup will be freshwater and I'm trying to decide if I should stick with 2 canister filters, or is it worth while to get the reef ready tank and use a wet/dry filter?

I had a 125 gallon tank previously and always used canister filters. The new aquarium will be stocked with a couple peacock bass, arowana, and a few other fish.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Squirtle919

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Within Earth
Depending on the arowana I would be chasing the 36" wide tank. even 36" can be to small in my eyes, I would use it as a starting point.

As for the overflows I think it depends, a sump in general will be the better option but as you already have the canisters it maybe fine depending on the canisters, using all three could be the best path.
Start with the canisters whilst the fish are growing and have a smaller bioload, once they are a larger size you could add a sump, in short it can never hurt to have overflows only the added cost but even if you dont use a sump they can be used for canisters :)

sunnysjourney

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2014
US
Have you looked into aqua systems all in one aquariums? Thats what I have. I don't have to worry of having to purchase and power a huge return pump and electric outages.

suprd71

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2012
North Bay Ontario Canada
I would concur that your planned stock would be better with wider tank. I have a 265 Marineland, its a fantastic cichlid tank. I run 2 FX5's, covers the tank very well. Frequent w/c still a must, filtration is not a substitute.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store