Breeding bichirs

Khapham_1997

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2013
My house!!!!!
They'll! But it's going to be hard and it will take a lot of time! Last night. My 14" wc male nigerian endli bit my 14" wc female Nirgerian lap's anal fin. Idk if it's a breeding behavior or not. But I hope so!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
Well with hormones yes as it has been done numerous times with endlixangsorii or some lapxendli there were also some ornatexendli and pollixsen a while back, but I have not heard of any natural bred crosses. I suppose if you go by the saying "if you believe then you can achieve" then yes it's possible, but highly unlikely

Smithmode

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2014
Washington
Lol just wondering as I have a pretty nice sized S bichir. He is in my community tank and I was thinking about getting him a women lol. Well thanks.

Lerrad

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2019
Sanford, Florida
I have a albino an a Senegal bichir.They're going through the breeding process but I havent seen anything appear.The Senegal does the chasing which I thought was the male but the albino has been cupping.I have not seen anything like eggs or sperm.the senegal is 8 inches, albino is 7 1/4 inches.whats happening or not happening?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have a albino an a Senegal bichir.They're going through the breeding process but I havent seen anything appear.The Senegal does the chasing which I thought was the male but the albino has been cupping.I have not seen anything like eggs or sperm.the senegal is 8 inches, albino is 7 1/4 inches.whats happening or not happening?

Welcome aboard Leslie

I personally have had two separate groups of Senegal Bichir spawn. It most definitely sounds like spawning behavior. The male is the one who will follow chase and nip the gravid female. All Polypterus are egg scattering species. The eggs of Senegalus is very tiny but with a magnifying glass you can see them attached to plant leaves on the glass or on the gravel.
Here is a recent vid of my Senegalhttps://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/fathers-day-surprise.718782/

Reactions: Lerrad
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store