How Much Are You Feeding Your Armatus?

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
Just wondering how much everyone is feeding their armies

I have been feeding my armies feeders like once or twice a week and they would get totally full on the day i fed them but their stomachs would go back to empty before i would get them feeders again. Now that they started eating shrimp, pollock, and talapia they are full 24/7 is this rely bad for them? Should i try and keep them from eating every day and try only every 3 days? Im afraid they are getting too fat

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
They shouldn't get too fat as long as they have ample room to move around and burn off the food...and I suspect that tank space is not an issue with you Trev lol.After personally blacklisting them for a couple years I am back to using smelt in my feeding rotation.I give Medusa shrimp,and various fish filet with the occasional live sunfish.I feed her once a day and let her fast on the weekend.

sunnysjourney

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2014
US
Edit: quoted the wrong person. Meant to quote ichtusfish...

Interesting... I thought all juvenile payaras come from medium low - medium flowing waters. And my understanding is that in these types of waters there are generally a LOT of smaller fish to feed on..? Please correct me if I'm wrong... My 8 scombies, 2 nandus and 6 dats collectively go thru 200 (1-2") minnows every 3 days... And I fill up the aquarium when they are done. It is easier for me to feed them minnows... my buddy has a pond and he has a minnow infestation.

But I agree that when they get bigger, water with high o2 and high flow is where they are found and areas like that do contain (to my understanding) lower concentrations of prey...

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Not sure why you quoted me since my post doesn't seem to have much to do with what you said in your post but be careful with those minnows as they could be carriers of parasites that would transfer to you fish.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
That's okay Sunny,I was just a little confused there.

ichthusfish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2011
southkorea,seoul/Texas
Edit: quoted the wrong person. Meant to quote ichtusfish...

Interesting... I thought all juvenile payaras come from medium low - medium flowing waters. And my understanding is that in these types of waters there are generally a LOT of smaller fish to feed on..? Please correct me if I'm wrong... My 8 scombies, 2 nandus and 6 dats collectively go thru 200 (1-2") minnows every 3 days... And I fill up the aquarium when they are done. It is easier for me to feed them minnows... my buddy has a pond and he has a minnow infestation.

But I agree that when they get bigger, water with high o2 and high flow is where they are found and areas like that do contain (to my understanding) lower concentrations of prey...
200?! I feed mine (or used to feed mine) fish fillets and goldfish

Sent from my SHV-E300K using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
not to mention minnows and goldfish are Cyprinidae - the worst food source you could choose as they contain large amounts of an enzyme that prevents the fish from processing thiamine (immune system builder)- gut loaded or not the enzyme is still there.

djaalix

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2011
Mahopac Falls, NY
Mine probably eats 10-20 massivores every other day .... he's about 18-20 inches

Sent from my SCH-I605 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store