Weird Arowana Behaviour

xharold

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 16, 2014
Scarborough
So I recently got my Silver arowana last monday. Today was the first time he ate because he's been trying to eat tetra pellets and shrimps but spits them out so it made me buy hikari foodsticks. What I notice about him is during the morning time he is very skittish and when it darkens out around 9pm he is very tamed and eats out of your hand. What should I do for him to act normal all the time? He has some floating pingpong balls and he is around 3-4".

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Silver arowana are very shy and skittish they are just like that. It's in their nature to dislike being contained in a tank and having the lights off alleviates it a little.What size is the tank? He may need a larger tank. Some people believe they aren't kept best in tanks only in ponds and that in tanks they tend to be skittish. When I had mine it was skittish when young but as an adult he was very personable. If I were you I would wait it out as I did with mine and add in some floating plants. If you want a less skittish more interactive arow get a jardini. Silvers are skittish most of the time that's just how they are, unless they are in a pond...he won't ever really act "normal" In a tank that doesn't have a large footprint he will always be skittish to some extent

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

xharold

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 16, 2014
Scarborough
Currently in a 29G Growout because my 5'x3'x 30" contains a 10" red oscar that I'm sure will kill him the moment he lands. So I'm trying to grow him out first.

EDIT: I also have a 120G that currently house my other oscar (albino red) because they werent getting along. So thats my next growout for him. Just trying to get some size. Worst comes worst I am near Toronto zoo and I can just donate my arowana to them.

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Currently in a 29G Growout because my 5'x3'x 30" contains a 10" red oscar that I'm sure will kill him the moment he lands. So I'm trying to grow him out first.

EDIT: I also have a 120G that currently house my other oscar (albino red) because they werent getting along. So thats my next growout for him. Just trying to get some size. Worst comes worst I am near Toronto zoo and I can just donate my arowana to them.
With arowana you have to wait it out until they grow man they are awesome once they become beasts they are just skittish when young.... But really the ideal thing for you is to just wait until he grows and he will be a little less skittish

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

xharold

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 16, 2014
Scarborough
Hopefully he does get a little skittish. Because my friend who has the same size as mine is fine all day. Can also be handfed wihtout any problem.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store