Is it more cost effective to build or buy?

castro1212

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2012
metairie louisiana
All depends on the deals that you can get and there's tons of info everywhere for building a tank. If you decide to DIY build a smaller version just to see how it works and to get a feel for it

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

stempy

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2011
Galloway, OH
Depends on size. I built a 500 gallon for just a tad over $1000. Buying new would have cost me over $3000. Sometimes you can find amazing deals on craigslist as well from people just wanting a very large tank gone. So it really comes down to size, timing and luck if it's worth it or not. Probably anything under 300 gallons isn't really worth building, at least in my area I see tanks that size fairly often on craigslist for around a grand.

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
Im going to vote DIY is cheaper. Someone has to pay for the labor...

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
I agree with stempy, if you're shooting for under 300gal. Then It'd probably be cheaper to buy.

Easiest way to look at it is; what would you charge per hour to build a tank for someone? Make an educated guess on how much time it would take, then double that (at least). Also, don't forget material cost and add at least an extra 25% for unforseen problems and possible forgotten needed items... after all that you will probably have a rough idea of the total cost of the build; notice I said rough idea. That way you can get a good idea on what you are willing to spend.

I'm a big fan of keeping an eye on Craigslist (daily). if you're a diy kind of person, then finding a good deal on a large glass or acrylic tank is only a matter of time. Building a stand, top, lights, or anything else not included in an online deal is fairly easy and not nearly as stressful or difficult as building the tank itself.

In the end, its up to you; thats just the way I look at it. ;)

The_Don

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2013
New york
If you're looking to buy new, DIY is going to be cheaper. However, I know I've seen some really great deals on craigslist on used tanks, so this may be cheaper.

Wisconsinbadger

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2013
Milwaukee wisconsin
Think about it this way unless your comfortable with potentially 500+ gallons on your floor either find one used or get a new one you get what you pay for. Now there are some awesome builds out there and if your super handy and know what your doing then go for it but is it worth the risk?

Loshmitchell101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
There are no good craigslist deals where im from, everyone sells anything for store value here. If you can find.good deals then go for it. And as stated its really all about how much you trust yourself or how much your willing to spend new or old.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
I just had a used 350 gallon split a seam and flood my basement

The peace of mind having a brand new tank professionally built is well worth the money in my eyes

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store