Glo light tetras

Tiretrackeel lover

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2012
Westminster co
Has anyone ever thought of or had a tank with a massive amount of glo light tetras? According to guppys 1 inch per gallon rule you can keep 5 tetras per gallon. For example in a 75 gallon you can keep 375 tetras, which sounds like a whole lot. Is this right? && if so would it just be way over crowed visually. Cool idea either way.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

4wheelvfr

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2008
Southern Illinois
I'm wanting to do the same thing with my big tank (8x4x4) with a couple different types of schooling fish. In your 75 I'd start with 20 and see what they look like. More might be overkill, as some tetras can be pretty damn active.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Forget the inch per gallon rule. There are too many factors not accounted for in that old wives tale. A few of which are:

Is/are the species:

-High DO riverine species or low DO lake/pond species?
-Active species or sedentary species?
-Tall species or wide species body type?
-High metabolism or low metabolism species?
-Frequent/constant feeder or occassional/opportunistic feeder?

And, is the aquarium:

-Low and wide footprint or tall and small footprint?
-Mechanical filtration or biological filtration?
-Frequent maintenance or occassional maintenance?
-Fine substrate or coarse substrate or bare-bottom?
-Low, average, or high tropical temp.

There's much more but, you should have the idea now that that old formula no longer fits the fishkeeping hobby as it pertains to proper husbandry of the diversity of fish species available in the hobby.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
To answer the other part of your question; yes, it would be cool. I set my parents 500gallon black-back tank with black gravel and dark hickory driftwood. The tank had a W/D with 75 gals of bio media and cycled the tank 2.25 times per hour with flow reduced with a slice-lip return (long wide slotted return nozzle). The tank was planted with low-light anubias and java ferns. The fish consisted of 300 cardinal tetras, 24 kuhli loaches, and 50 harlequin rasboras.
The tank looked like living glitter.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
I'm not sure if my parents were able to salvage any pics. Their condo building collapsed during the Loma Prieta earthquake in 1989. They lost most of their belongings in the collapse.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Look up some videos of exodons. Because they cant be housed with other fish you will find a fair amount of tanks with 100+ tetras. Kinda cool but too much motion visually imo.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store