Alligator Gar minimum tank size?

Mad wolf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 19, 2014
Syracuse New York
What's the minumim tank size for a Gar? My nephew wants that's for sale down the street from us. He has a 55 gallon, I keep telling him it's too small but he's obsessed with this thing, been trying to steer him towards an 8" Black Midas instead. Can't get him to get this nice Alligator Gar out of his head though!? I'm a Cichlid man, I know nothing about these things, they do look cool though.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
they get 8-10 feet fella! could do a needle nose garfish maybe, the smallest true gars (spotted gar) get 2ft i think? midas wetpet is a great choice.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
shouldnt help because no one should keep alligator gar apart from people with 5000 gallon public aquaria sized setups... so unless your an eccentric million air or you live in their natural range and release it when its too large look else where... there are smaller gars and gar like fish that stay at much more manageable sizes...

it shouldnt matter if your nephew wants it even more, because he wanted an alligator you would get him one??? lol

Mad wolf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 19, 2014
Syracuse New York
shouldnt help because no one should keep alligator gar apart from people with 5000 gallon public aquaria sized setups... so unless your an eccentric million air or you live in their natural range and release it when its too large look else where... there are smaller gars and gar like fish that stay at much more manageable sizes...

it shouldnt matter if your nephew wants it even more, because he wanted an alligator you would get him one??? lol
Kinda funny, there's actually Gators for sale around here. Ack's exotic pets is about 15 miles from me. My nephew went there asking for a job almost as soon as he arrived here from Phoenix AZ, like literally right off the plane. I'd probly get him a gator if he had the right tank to put it in.

Reactions: Slaymon

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Last gator gar group I kept we upgraded from 145,000 gallon to a 220,000 gallon to give them more room. Haha

Reactions: Raka

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Kinda funny, there's actually Gators for sale around here. Ack's exotic pets is about 15 miles from me. My nephew went there asking for a job almost as soon as he arrived here from Phoenix AZ, like literally right off the plane. I'd probly get him a gator if he had the right tank to put it in.
For hobbyists, it's really rare to find someone with a 'right tank'. To give you an idea, here's Ruby. She's a rescued gator that's in a 1-acre farm pond behind my house. The pond required a concrete set fence all around the pond area with a double gate to ensure she stays inside. She's conditioned to come over when she sees a white plastic shopping bag to receive treats. Otherwise, she feeds on local species that the pond is stocked with. She's not fully grown yet but, she's already 9 feet long and weighs over 500 pounds.

gator%20female.jpg

ruby.jpg

ruby4.jpg

ruby7.jpg

Reactions: Raka

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
That gator is insanely built compared to all the wild ones around here. Just the other day they had to relocate "big mama" from a lagoon behind my house and said she was about 13' and 450lbs. Doesnt look like yours misses many "snacks" Oddball

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store