Armatus Payara setup

fishy5

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2014
United State
Hello this is my first post just letting you guys know! I have an Armatus Payara around 2.5 inch I was going to put him in a 55 gallon with my bass but, he was too small. I eventually decided to put him in a 20 gallon fish tank with a power filter at the top. Right now the tank has gravel, a big colosseum decoration (where the payara hides inside), some feeder fish, and of course the payara. I have 2 questions
file:///Users/BenFalk/Library/Containers/com.apple.PhotoBooth/Data/Pictures/Photo%20Booth%20Library/Pictures/Photo%20on%207-6-14%20at%2011.22%20AM.jpg
1. should I keep the colosseum and just keep the tank the way it is or, should I buy a big powerhead for the tank and put some driftwood and no cave to hide.

2. (this isn't really a question) My payara hides in the cave all day and comes out at night to feed,swim, and do whatever fish do. Is this bad? Should I take his hiding place out? please help!

sunnysjourney

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2014
US
Welcome! I don't have an armatus but I'm currently housing 8 scombies :). They like to hide when they are full and they like to come out and hunt when:
a) either they are hungry
b) or when a fish that can fit in their mouth swims close to them.
And I like to watch them hunt so I have my setup like this:
IMG_0610_zps69aade26.jpg
This way the payaras are always visible to me. The catch is this:
With the way I have it setup, there is a chance that the payaras can injure their eyes on those branches. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that won't happen. I have had them in this setup for about a month now without any injuries.

IMG_0610_zps69aade26.jpg

Mustardtiger101

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2013
Canada
Hello this is my first post just letting you guys know! I have an Armatus Payara around 2.5 inch I was going to put him in a 55 gallon with my bass but, he was too small. I eventually decided to put him in a 20 gallon fish tank with a power filter at the top. Right now the tank has gravel, a big colosseum decoration (where the payara hides inside), some feeder fish, and of course the payara. I have 2 questions
file:///Users/BenFalk/Library/Containers/com.apple.PhotoBooth/Data/Pictures/Photo%20Booth%20Library/Pictures/Photo%20on%207-6-14%20at%2011.22%20AM.jpg
1. should I keep the colosseum and just keep the tank the way it is or, should I buy a big powerhead for the tank and put some driftwood and no cave to hide.

2. (this isn't really a question) My payara hides in the cave all day and comes out at night to feed,swim, and do whatever fish do. Is this bad? Should I take his hiding place out? please help!
I would take out the decoration and don't worry about putting in any driftwood either, just add a powerhead and he should should feel more relaxed and not need any where to hide.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Mustardtiger101

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2013
Canada
Welcome! I don't have an armatus but I'm currently housing 8 scombies :). They like to hide when they are full and they like to come out and hunt when:
a) either they are hungry
b) or when a fish that can fit in their mouth swims close to them.
And I like to watch them hunt so I have my setup like this:
View attachment 1024047
This way the payaras are always visible to me. The catch is this:
With the way I have it setup, there is a chance that the payaras can injure their eyes on those branches. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that won't happen. I have had them in this setup for about a month now without any injuries.
That tank looks huge! What are the dimensions?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
I would take out the cave, i dont like my fish hiding... But on the other hand he will grow sooo fast he wont fit in the cave for long and if hes comfortable then maybe just leave it

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

sunnysjourney

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2014
US
its a 240. 8' X 2' X 2'. Keeping 8 scombies for life and I have a thread regarding it in the 'other characins' section called 'I have a datnoid payaradiction' haha :).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store