180 gallon water not clear - details in body

fishman76092

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2005
Trophy Club, TX
I'm having an interesting dilemma with my 180g-
I can't get it not to be cloudy - it's a white/yellow cloudiness. See below.

Here are the details -
40" x 16" x 12"W 3 chamber sump w/bioballs and a RIO 26HF return using a T and 1/2" ID return hose. Have 2 blue pad prefilters in drip trays and a large 'polishing block' prior to the pump. Top of Tank is about 6' off the ground.
72" 54 x 3W LED light
Sand
Larger mellow fish - 8" arowana, 12" fire eel, the rest are 3-5" RH Geos, Black shark, Dist sex, Myleus schomb, Leporinus, etc.
Two huge pieces of wood that have never been submerged prior

Water quality is not an issue - 0 Amm/0 Nitrates/very little if any nitrates.

Tank has been cycled for about 3 weeks now and I do 50% weekly water changes. Water is clear for about a day and then gets whitish/yellowish. Chamber in the sump with the return pump has protein scum on it. Sand is clear when I gravel vac it. I am trying to get the fire eel to eat and have been trying everything under the sun with no luck thus far (market shrimp, bloodworms, earthworms, massivore, etc) and have to feed the other guys on the other side of the tank with sinking pellets, shrimp, etc. One confusing thing is that it's clear when I put the new water in but when I run the sump it clouds back up. Thinking about vacuuming the sump...

My assumption is that the 'bloom' is partially due to the wood, but mostly due to the feeding of high protein foods which is causing the cloudiness. I plan on putting an airstone in the sump and when the eel either dies or eats, I'll cut back on the food.

Am I correct or missing something. It's driving me crazy - in 35 years I've never had this issue.

Mr.Manaconda

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Wood could be the culprit...I had a piece that had never been submerged, after a few weeks a white slime fungus was visible in a few places. The water was hazy. I took it out, boiled it in a huge stock pot, and put it back in. The cloudiness was greatly improved, and went away shortly after.

Rhodes09

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
The wood contains trapped gases, some being replaced by water and released as "tanins" which result in the rustic yellow haze your seeing. More wood means more tanins, though there are ways to speed up the rate of release( boiling, etc). Doesn't harm the fish and I myself prefer the more natural look it provides, hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

sunnysjourney

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2014
US
What type of wood do you have? I have manzanitas in my 240 and it took a good 3-4 weeks before the white / yellow tinge went away. Added a LOT of carbon and it still took that long..

fishman76092

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2005
Trophy Club, TX
I'm not sure what type of wood it is - it's not manzanita. It's a lighter colored bogwood that I bought at a lfs that carries nice stuff. I did not boil them - they are both very large and couldnt figure out a way to do it right this side of finding a 55g drum and putting it on a campfire.

I've done many tanks with wood and it typically takes some time to turn the water yellow/brown. This is a gray/yellow tone, mostly gray at first then as the week progresses it's more yellow. I just bought some purigen and more polishing pads to see what happens.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store