I am getting Algae on my plants (fake) and rocks etc, What fish would cure?

Jayfish7

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
New York
I am noticing a lot of Algae (brown) on my rocks/drift wood/plants (fake). what fish could i get that will help cure that problem!

I have 180g with large (juvie) SA cichlids

any suggestions/ideas/exp?

thanks!!

Lead20

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2013
NY
I have been doing some research on this subject and would like to know more I have the same algae in a few tanks of varied sizes and they are all well taken care of maintenance wise. They algae showed up in all tanks after I did water changes last week. So I'm thinking it's partially the water that's causing this.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Jayfish7

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
New York
ive noticed mines slowly growing ... and now its pretty noticeable ... not horrid looking but its some nice food for a nice algae eater!.. id love to know which would be best to munch down on all this growth..

HackJob

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
NH
black out the tank for a few days, 3-4 days should work wonders, no lights throw a blanket or dark clothe over the tanks. If that doesn't work, hydrogen peroxide, 5ml/ gallon to treat the whole tank, or you can take out the fake stuff and dose it heavier in a bucket, after 24 hrs it breakdown into water and hydrogen gas. Depending on the algae depends on the treatment, and algae eaters typically don't work once the balance is broken. Do a couple of massive water changes, there may be a balance issue or the tank may need to be cycled again.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
in a large SA tank? wouldnt they become light snacks?
Sorry, I'm terrible at attention to detail. My next suggestion would be nerite snails, but theres a high chance they'd become food too :(

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

sunnysjourney

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2014
US
black out the tank for a few days, 3-4 days should work wonders, no lights throw a blanket or dark clothe over the tanks. If that doesn't work, hydrogen peroxide, 5ml/ gallon to treat the whole tank, or you can take out the fake stuff and dose it heavier in a bucket, after 24 hrs it breakdown into water and hydrogen gas. Depending on the algae depends on the treatment, and algae eaters typically don't work once the balance is broken. Do a couple of massive water changes, there may be a balance issue or the tank may need to be cycled again.
+1. Algal growth happens due to an increase in the nutrients in your aquarium, adding more livestock means there will be more nutrients in the water (more fish = more poop = more nitrates and other nutrients). If you don't have any live plants in your aquarium I'd recommend what HackJob said. Just turn the lights off for 3-4 days and do a 30-45% water change.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store