Help me pick a monitor!

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Hey guys,

After losing Billy the BATF and moving for the third time in six months, I've decided to change directions for a bit and try something new. I've had reptiles before and I've always had an infatuation with Varanus. Giving the logistical challenges; nay, impossibilities, of housing fish for the time being, I've decided to try a slightly different direction in what animals I'm going to keep in a box.

I have a cage that I'm in the process of building that is an 8x4 footprint and will be eight feet tall, though the actual usable area wil llikely be about six feet tall. I have a 140 gallon water tub that will be filtered with an FX5.

My intention is to acquire a monitor that has the general build of a water or lacey, that doesn't get huge and, preferably, can be handled. The final handling requirement means that I can take it out and put it in a cage to go to the vet or do work in the viv without losing a finger. I'm not overly concerned with being able to pet it like a dog. If I want something I could pet like a dog, I'd get a dog lol.

I am quite taken with blue tailed monitors, Varanus doreanus, but they are hard to find and are apparently hit or miss in their suitability to captivity.

Please give me your thoughts on what direction I should go. I know it sounds like I've put a lot of thought into this-- I have-- but I still have a very open mind. I'm probably 6-12 months away from purchasing a lizard and I'm attempting to make sure that I make the right decision.

Thanks all!

Rob

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Black throats also have that goofy looking head. I know that they make wonderful pets, but when I think monitor lizard, that head isn't what I see. Their head looks more like something off of a skink. lol

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Ackies are 1 of the best beginner monitors and prefer to be in groups. They're extremely sociable but they won't really use the height that much. Black tree monitors are also amazing and will utilize the entire height of the cage. I'm a huge fan of croc monitors though! I had 1 not long ago and loved it! They get HUGE but it's mostly tail and they will also utilize the entire cage. The only drawback is that they are extremely aggressive and take a lot of work to get them to tolerate handling.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
Also keep in mind that you have to physically clean their waste not have a filter take care of a lot of the work. I acquired a 3.5 foot wc savannah monitor. It's feces would stink up the whole room on a hot summers day lol. Other than that and feeding costs he was pretty cool. IMO I would get some baby CB blue spot timors or a black tree monitor but ackies are also pretty damn cool. I would stay away from the thick heavy bodied plains monitors and water monitors. GL with whatever you decide to do :)

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

pshtex

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2010
united states
I would say get a tegu unless your set on a monitor. From most ppl i know that have kept lizards tegus seem to be a bit more people friendly than monitors

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
I would say if you like the indonesian monitors that enjoy water, I'd go for V. Melinus. They're really special, but not quite as rare and expensive as V. Doreanus, and they look amazing.

303mfk

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2011
Colorado
If a monitor doesn't pan out tegus are great animals. My friends Columbian is as friendly as most dogs

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store