Vivid animals and their color purposes

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Dart frogs. A ton of different caterpillars. Bright colors usually denote they're poisonous.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Whiptooth

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2011
The Lonely Mountain
To elaborate on this topic, I am going to draw a fictional species of tree dwelling lizard that is entirely red, so what I really need to know is like what are possible reasons why you would have red a tree-dwelling reptile and if no such reason exists than I might need to change the reptile.

pshtex

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2010
united states
There are different reasons as to y an animal has bright colors. warnings courtship and camouflage would be the usual suspects. It depends on the animals and the local flora. Insects can try to look like flowers, predators can try to imitate local flora, birds for courtship, poison dart frogs as warnings, and many amphibians do it for warnings.

Whiptooth

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2011
The Lonely Mountain
well this is going to be an arboreal lizard from the cloud forests of Papua New Guinea. So lots of greens and some browns so that rules out camouflage. As for warnings I don't know do you think a bright red monitor could ever teach the local wildlife to associate its color with whatever injuries it could inflict, because this will only be a mildly venomous reptile. Courtship is a solid one, not as appealing though. Maybe this being a Monitor from the Prasinus complex it could use its red color to help other tree monitors determine whether they are the same species or not and if they are compatible to mate. I think I might go and ask this question on a monitor forum

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store