Is he ready yet?

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Hey I have a male and a female Flowerhorn I plan on breeding for sure. The male is approximately 7 months old or so and the female I'm not too sure but she is more than a year old. She has laid eggs with the previous owner so I know she is ready. Question is is the male ready? He is very agressive and can put up a fight he is smaller he is about 5-6 inches and she is 7-8 inches do you think they are ready? They are in seperate tanks now but here they are
Him
ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1404704123.866576.jpgView attachment 1024087
Her
ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1404704130.637849.jpgImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1404704455.933329.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

pigoo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2013
United States
Remember. Just because you have a male & a female...does not necessarily mean they will "like" each other. Of course you won't know until they are in the same tank. Good luck.:)

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Remember. Just because you have a male & a female...does not necessarily mean they will "like" each other. Of course you won't know until they are in the same tank. Good luck.:)
Yeah I know that but my question is are they ready to try or is the male not ready? Like is he too young or something

tanyaelec11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2012
canada
I would put the two together separating them with an egg crate divider and see their reaction. It wouldn't hurt to get them to know eachother a little better

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
I would put the two together separating them with an egg crate divider and see their reaction. It wouldn't hurt to get them to know eachother a little better
Alright that's what I was thinking to do I have a divider cut and ready once I decide to introduce the female to the males tank due to him being smaller I think breeding should happen in his territory...but do you think it will be that big of an issue that he is smaller? Is he even old enough at 7 months

Matt S

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2012
Mass
I had a male that was 6 inches with a female that was 3.5 inches and they would breed constantly they were also bonded so I never had to separate them so to answer your question he isn't to small
The problems that can arise is they won't be compatible which is always a big possibility with flowerhorns and the other thing is your male could be fertile or infertile but you'll never know till he tries breeding
All in all there's no reason not to try
Put the egg crate divider in the mild of the tank then leave them like that for a week after that you can try 1 of two things for the best odds of seeing if this pair will work
1 cut a hole in the divider just big enough for him to go threw but the female can't go threw ( usually it's the other way around because the male is usually larger but because of your case it will have to be for him ) so they can interact but if she starts beating on him he can go back threw to his side to get away
2. after a week let them in with each other and see how they cohab if they get to aggressive separate them for another week and try again

In my opinion option 1 always works best but it doesn't hurt to try both they could cohab great and bond together but with flowerhorns it's unlikely

Good luck

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store