75g water randomly going green.

Mustardtiger101

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2013
Canada
I have a 75g the filtration is a marineland C-360 and 2x marineland emperor 400's, the current fish are 1 5" VATF and 5 4" tinfoil barbs. I do a 40-50% water change once a week. This is the second time that it has gone green, I was told to completely black it out for 5 days so that's what I did, it worked the first time and this time I tried that and it did not work it went back to green the next day. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

TRENT

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2007
OREGON
This happened to me not to long ago. I turned of the lights for 2-3 weeks and did 70% WC per week and seemed to cure it. I have a UV light on the way too.

Mustardtiger101

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2013
Canada
2-3 weeks that's an awful long time lol, and I've never heard of a uv filter.

Any other suggestions?

Mymonsterfish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2013
St Paul, MN
Look it up on youtube they show the filters in action. It's not so expensive either and it will clear it within 4 to 5 days depending on how bad it is.

Sent from my SM-N900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Mustardtiger101

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2013
Canada
Look it up on youtube they show the filters in action. It's not so expensive either and it will clear it within 4 to 5 days depending on how bad it is.

Sent from my SM-N900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I just bought one and set it up. I'll let you know how it goes.

Further, do you have the tank near a window? Do you keep the lights on the tank even when you are not looking at the fish? Do you over feed.

Just trying to get to the root of the problem.

The UV filter should work.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Further, do you have the tank near a window? Do you keep the lights on the tank even when you are not looking at the fish? Do you over feed.

Just trying to get to the root of the problem.
+1. Furthermore, what kind of lighting system are you using (LED, fluorescent, etc)? If you're using fluorescent with a high K rating, then you are strenghtening the growth of plant life.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store