Auprensis Catfish Update!

TheeEmotionalPayara

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2013
Chicago
Just wanted to update some pics of the blob and his friends. I upgraded all of his PVC hideouts to big boy status. He has two roughly 16 inch pipes that are almost 6 inches wide at the openings. As you can see in the pics he fits in them nicely and his tail hang out slightly when he is in there snugly showing off how big he has gotten. Couple nice shots of him yawning and rolling around as well. His tankmates are just bustling along and he is ignoring them as usual. There is also a big of some big ol' freshly frozen sucker minnows that he has been eating as of late. He loves them more than anything. The biggest he has eaten is a 9 inch sucker in one gulp. Hope everyone enjoys the shots as I surely enjoy him! Ask away with any questions as well!20140706_221201.jpg20140706_221921.jpg20140706_221806.jpg20140706_221804.jpg20140706_221728.jpg20140706_221656.jpg20140706_221651.jpg20140706_221649.jpg20140706_221456.jpg20140706_221451.jpg20140706_221208.jpg20140706_222444.jpg

20140706_221201.jpg

20140706_221208.jpg

20140706_221451.jpg

20140706_221456.jpg

20140706_221649.jpg

20140706_221651.jpg

20140706_221656.jpg

20140706_221728.jpg

20140706_221804.jpg

20140706_221806.jpg

20140706_221921.jpg

20140706_222444.jpg

TheeEmotionalPayara

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2013
Chicago
Wonderful looking, low maintenance, hardy, not overly active/easily stressed, big time eaters, with a awesome personality to match. Beg like dogs for food/highly owner interactive. All around a great pet and awesome fish!

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
We share the taste and your description fits the three guys I had perfectly.

Beautiful update. Thanks. Keep coming back, please. I, for one, would like to know how big he'll grow (based on what Yellowcat tells us I expect 2'+) and at what point, if ever, he'd try to go after a tank mate. Short-term success with comming these cats is undeniable and yours is another proof. But I want to know what happens in the long term.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
very cool cat, i would have one if i had more room!

TheeEmotionalPayara

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2013
Chicago
I can say there has only been one tankmate fatality in the time that I have owned him so far. However it was not an attempt to eat a tankmate it was more like self-defense. I had a very large sailfin plec who was a relentless bully towards my aup. Constantly pestered him, chased him, pounced on him, etc. Just a belligerent turd all around. Not too long ago though the tides turned. The aup seemed to have had enough and he began ramming, pummeling, and bulldozing the crap out of the plec. It wasn't none stop, just when the plec would start his antics with the cat. The aup however had much more power and a determination to end the bullying than the plec had to fight back. The aup eventually stressed him out to the point the plec's health took a nose dive over a few days and finally I found the aup just ramming him into a corner, the plec's lifeless body just bobbing around. The flagtail, pike cichlid, pinktail, and several others have lived with the aup from the beginning with no issues. I also recently added a pretty long and slender spotted pike characin to the tank, something that is the size and shape of the frozen fish I feed the aup regularly, with no issues at all. The aup could gobble him down in a heart beat but hasn't. Maybe it has something to do with regular feedings, conditioning, awareness that food is provided by myself, individual temperament, who knows. I do know cohabitation is possible. He will have been with me a year pretty soon, has grown from 6 to a shade over 16 inches with me, and has yet to eat a tankmate despite being very capable of doing so. Def the coolest, most interesting cat I have owned and I have owned many species. These guys are hardy, low maintenance and are not active tankbusters like shovelnoses and retails. They prefer to slug around in their tubes, cruise clumsily at a leisurely pace around the tank when they feel like it, beg for food, eat till they are ballooned out, rest, and repeat. Not always available but I advocate for people to give them a shot when they are available. My dream is to try and breed them but one thing I do know is that they HATE each other in smaller spaces. We shall see though. I have ideas. Will give things a shot. Gotta dream big, right?

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
I can say there has only been one tankmate fatality in the time that I have owned him so far. However it was not an attempt to eat a tankmate it was more like self-defense. I had a very large sailfin plec who was a relentless bully towards my aup. Constantly pestered him, chased him, pounced on him, etc. Just a belligerent turd all around. Not too long ago though the tides turned. The aup seemed to have had enough and he began ramming, pummeling, and bulldozing the crap out of the plec. It wasn't none stop, just when the plec would start his antics with the cat. The aup however had much more power and a determination to end the bullying than the plec had to fight back. The aup eventually stressed him out to the point the plec's health took a nose dive over a few days and finally I found the aup just ramming him into a corner, the plec's lifeless body just bobbing around. The flagtail, pike cichlid, pinktail, and several others have lived with the aup from the beginning with no issues. I also recently added a pretty long and slender spotted pike characin to the tank, something that is the size and shape of the frozen fish I feed the aup regularly, with no issues at all. The aup could gobble him down in a heart beat but hasn't. Maybe it has something to do with regular feedings, conditioning, awareness that food is provided by myself, individual temperament, who knows. I do know cohabitation is possible. He will have been with me a year pretty soon, has grown from 6 to a shade over 16 inches with me, and has yet to eat a tankmate despite being very capable of doing so. Def the coolest, most interesting cat I have owned and I have owned many species. These guys are hardy, low maintenance and are not active tankbusters like shovelnoses and retails. They prefer to slug around in their tubes, cruise clumsily at a leisurely pace around the tank when they feel like it, beg for food, eat till they are ballooned out, rest, and repeat. Not always available but I advocate for people to give them a shot when they are available. My dream is to try and breed them but one thing I do know is that they HATE each other in smaller spaces. We shall see though. I have ideas. Will give things a shot. Gotta dream big, right?
Only thing that prevented me from getting one was their potential size. Apparently they can eat an adult pacu (bicycle tire size) when they're full grown. They look sooo cool haha

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Coolest cats ever ( along with Pacmans ). All three species are out if this world.

I tried for years to get one, with no luck, however.
Enjoy that rarity!

2poc

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2007
Ireland
Great cat, I have one about the same size. Have him a few years since tiny and he has never touched any tankmates. They are so personable, my 6 yr old daughter hand feeds mine.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store