Stressed Shark

charles-n-charge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2010
Livingston Tx
My 21" male Marbled Bamboo shark is acting very stressed. He isn't hiding in his hole anymore, and has spent days laying out in the open. He stopped eating about 5 days ago, and is starting to get a little thin. He seems sluggish. And to top it off, he jumped out of the tank a couple days ago.

I recently had a salinity problem. I had an ATO malfunction and my salinity dropped down to 0.016, than hopped up to 0.026, and was then gradually lowered to 0.023. I also just dropped my tank temp from 85 to 75 pretty quickly. Everything was stressed out, but has recovered. The shark is the only thing that is still massively stressed out, and it has me pretty worried.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
The good news is he doesn't look too thin yet. That's a lot of rapid changes for a shark to adjust to. Now that it's stable again, keep a close eye on him The 75 degree water will slow activity and metabolism a lot compared to 85 degrees.

charles-n-charge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2010
Livingston Tx
I figured his activity and metabolism would slow down with the lower temperature, but he isn't eating at all. So I guess I'll just give him some time.

And yes, action had been taken to prevent another jump.
Part of me cooling my tanks down was me removing the lid for awhile to allow more air movement across the water surface, but I have put it back since the jump. I never really expected any of the fish in that tank to be jumpers

NovaSS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2013
Panama city Florida
also on your a/c window unit you could use a chiller controller"around $50" to turn your a/c and heater on and off like it would a chiller. it will help with temp stability. keep the lid on i dont think it hurts if you have a sump and its uncovered thats all you need. If you really want to get air and keep the lids just put something under them just to put a small air gap.

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
Tonight he swam out towards the food said he was going to eat it, but didn't actually eat. I think he's starting to come around

Awesome!

I do not know much about saltwater let alone sharks, but he looks healthy to me. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store