Which type of bottom dweller fish would you suggest, considering the circumstances?

cacatpost

Feeder Fish
Jul 7, 2014
usa
I'm brand new to the fish-keeping world, but excited about the prospect of beginning such an exciting hobby. I've spent several weeks doing research, and have decided it's time for me to purchase my first aquarium.

I've fallen in love with fancy tailed guppies, and would like to begin with a tank of just them, and some type of bottom dwelling fish. My aquarium will be a 30-55 gallon, with a sand bottom.

What types need the same type of environment that my guppies require, while also being a small, and peaceful fish?

My future guppy family and I thank you for your help.

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
with guppies I'd choose small & not very food competitive such as a group of kuhli loaches or other slender body type loaches. they enjoy sand & you can have more of them together comfortably. I enjoy watching them. BUT your tank top openings around filters & heaters etc must be 100% sealed of gaps to prevent them escaping.
Cories are nice & not so escape prone. They will eat more than kuhlis, so a bit more competitive (yet peaceable) amongst small guppies. Some types are smaller than others.
Both the above do best in groups & different appearances are available.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store