Brown Algae in my 1 month old 30g tank! HELP!

zackiee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Singapore
My tank have been set up for about a month plus.... out of a sudden theres brown algae growning on my substrate and wall.... Read alot about it online but really need more help from pros here.... Is it that i'm having the lights on for too long or is it just the high nitrate level that i have in my tank?

The nitrate level are super high and i did quite a few WC over a few days.... Now the nitrate level is between 20-40ppm... And on top of that i also did controlled feeding for my FHs...

Can anyone advise me is there anything else i can do or buy to prevent the those annoying brown algae from growing again? I'm a using a OHF with biohome plus media....

MANY THANKS ! AND HELP !!! :WHOA:

HackJob

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
NH
Algae to much nutrients, to much light. Reduce the lighting period to a few hrs max a day, keep up with the water changes as the tanks gets established to reduce the nutrients levels.

zackiee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Singapore
Algae to much nutrients, to much light. Reduce the lighting period to a few hrs max a day, keep up with the water changes as the tanks gets established to reduce the nutrients levels.
hmm okok... i will try to put my fh tank lighting on a timer together with my crs tank then... CHeers...

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Unfortunately because of your FH you have to address the issue instead of adding a clean up crew. As stated excess nutrients are why you are having a bloom. You can cut back lighting or cut back the food source for algae which is nitrate either should slow the algae

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
My 20 tall had a ton of brown algae on everything in only 2.5 weeks! It still grows back pretty quickly but I just scrub it off, not that strenuous in such a small tank.

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
Any more advise ? =) Really don't wanna have those brown algae anymore
It's hard to avoid sometimes. Reduce your light, do more water changes and make sure you scrub everything before the water change. Brown algae is just a nuisance and just looks bad IME.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
a smaller species of pleco will clear it in a day... rotate it around your tanks and keep them all clean, recently had a problem in my 100g, so i threw in the 8 inch l001 and in two days the glass was immaculate!

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
a smaller species of pleco will clear it in a day... rotate it around your tanks and keep them all clean, recently had a problem in my 100g, so i threw in the 8 inch l001 and in two days the glass was immaculate!
I have never found any kind of algae eating fish to ever eat brown algae or even all of the algae in a tank. I wouldn't depend on a Pleco for that. You must have gotten lucky. What sp. of Pleco did you have?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
its wrote above mate, l001 goldspot plec. my 12inch gibbiceps eats it too mate. ive always used pleco for this reason, been keeping fish for 20 years!-)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store