building a sump for a 450 gallon tank. Couple of questions

Richemmers

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2012
Clinton township.mi
I am debating on what route I should take on building the sump.

I have the option of building it out of a 125 6ft tank or 2 75 4ft tanks. I want to lean towards the 2 75's asI have a few to choose from.

If I was to go with the 2 75's, I was thinking of connecting them via bulkheads that are already in the thanks upper corners.

If I go this route, would having the mechanical on the first tank (intake) and the biological in the second tank be a wise idea?

The tank I have setting up also is plumbed for a closed loop system, so If I had a return pump in the 2 tank and a return pump in the first tank hooked up to the closed loop would this be a good way to go?

Or should I do everything in one tank which would be the 125 6ft tanks.

Thanks

Rich

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Look at JCs sump design, in one tank. Ego tied 2 sumps together in one of his build threads. Do you have a drain in the floor accessible from the sumps?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

TRENT

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2007
OREGON
If it were my build I would go one sump. Be sure to add filter socks and biomedia and you have it all covered. I think one sump is less things to go wrong and plenty of room for our needs.

On my tank I run a sump (120) with two filter socks, tons of biomedia (20l pond matrix) and two xl- sponges. Also added a Eheim 2262 just in case but probably not needed.

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
I have a single six foot sump for my 450. The main tank drains into each end and the pump chamber is in the center. Two trickle towers and two pumps. I like redundancy for peace of mind.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
KISS, IMO. 125g, filter socks, and rings/matrix in laundry bags.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store