Firemouth Gaining Fire at 5 Years

Judge Holden

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2010
Milwaukee
He's 5 years and worse than the stereotype. He contributed to my Convict's early demise. I had to rehome a Blue Acara because of him. He chases my filament barbs often. If Firemouths were 10" they'd be the meanest critter in the hobby. He's become redder on the face in the past 6 months. They're slow bloomers.

1-2 years ago:

3 years ago:

5 years ago:

And the Filament Barbs he chases. These guys rock. They're about 6" with the same biomass as a Firemouth.

This gang is in a 90. (I'd prefer a 6' tank and 5 barbs, but this works):

swifty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2013
California
Wow, nice firemouth. I love the extended "trailers" on his fins, when did he start to develop those?

Also, what is your water change schedule/his diet?

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
He is beautiful and very stocky. How big would you say he is now? I agree that they are slow bloomers. I had one that didn't get aggressive until he hit 5''. He killed a female salvini that was 6'' too.

jagster

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2011
Canada
My little guy is about 2-3 inches. He was terrorizing my 50 gallon with a green terror hujeta gar and a some bichir. Took him out and put him with the big boys in the 90 and he's still swimming around like he owns the place

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
I'd love to see your fm dominate a same size dovii :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Yeah there is no way firemouths can compare to the really aggressive CA cichlids. That is a whole different level of aggression.

OP - I like the filament barbs. I bet they make great dithers.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Judge Holden

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2010
Milwaukee
Wow, nice firemouth. I love the extended "trailers" on his fins, when did he start to develop those?

Also, what is your water change schedule/his diet?
I change about 80% every 6 days. If I wait 7 days the nitrates are red. I use a few different pellets (Omega One, NLS), Ken's freeze-dried krill superba, and the occasional earthworm.

He grows so slowly I hardly notice the trailers. They've become distinct in the past two years or so.

I think FMs are a type of eartheater(?) so I should have sand instead of gravel. He doesn't seem to mind. In the future I'd like to do a thorichthys tank, with some of his less famous kin: http://www.fishbase.org/identification/SpeciesList.php?genus=Thorichthys

Filament Barbs would make for a great tank all by themselves. They make chirping sounds when they chase each other. There's so many barbs that you rarely see in the hobby: http://www.seriouslyfish.com/group/barbs-relatives/

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store