Breeding the true parrot

TheBeardedFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
Ohio
Hey guys, new to the forum. I recently ordered four Hoplarchus psittacus with the hopes to eventually breed them. There were a few delays in transport and I ended up getting them five days after their original arrival date. Unfortunately only two of the four fish made it, and the two that did are in pretty rough shape. I will upload some pictures of the two later to see what you guys think. Anyway, I wanted to hear people's experiences breeding these guys. Specifically I was wondering what size these fish expected to pair up? and if a 120g 4ftx2ftx2ft or a 125g 6ftx18inx23in tank would be better suited for the task.
Thanks.

TheBeardedFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
Ohio
image.jpgimage.jpg
Here are the two that survived. They around 4.5" and are both in a 55 gallon grow out filtered by two aquaclear 110's. The water is heavily tannin stained from the amount of leaves and driftwood. The temperature is 81 and the pH is around 7.5 but may be a tad lower.

image.jpg

image.jpg

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
Just looks like some ammonia burns on the fins to me. Keep the water really clean and they should heal up in a week or two. Not bad shape at all for 5+ days in a bag. Pretty good color on them already too - especially the first one.

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
Search for threads on here started by notho2000. He has had good luck breeding & keeping parrots.

TheBeardedFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
Ohio
Thanks for the advice. After I originally posted I found some of his threads and they have helped me a lot. I'm sorta now just looking for answers as to what size I can expect mine to pair up and which is the better footprint for the breeding pair.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
I wouldn't keep them in less than a 6' tank. You're talking about a cichlid that can exceed a foot long. I'd say 125 is the better option of the two.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store