Once again my fish need a jacket...

WinterAlloy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2012
North GA, USA
I just have horrible luck with heaters. Every year it seems like I lose another one. I have no idea why. But there again, I have only been using Marine Land, PennPlax, etc. I want something that is going to be durable enough to survive with Mayan cichlids and Columbian catfish and strong enough to heat 135 gallons without being on constantly. That being said, how do you all feel about Finnex controllers and the 800 watt titanium tube?

Sent from my C771 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

vr6fan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2010
Waukesha, WI
Eheim heaters are great....they are all I use

poppalina

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2010
Boston
I usually double up on heaters with two in each tank. If I need 500 watts to heat a tank I will usually go with two 300 watt heaters. That way if one stops working the fish freeze or if it sticks on they won't get cooked.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree with Matt, where I have snorkeled with uropthalmus in Nov, water temps (especially after a rain) have been in the low 70sF, and may even drop into the high 60s at night. These cenotes also contained Rocio octofaciatum (JDs) sailfin mollies and Rhamdia catfish.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb3v0VJTg5c
And when you think about, the ones in Florida easily handle much lower temps than that.
The pic below was from a small part of the northern Everglades

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
I have three 300 watt heaters with a ranco controller set to 78 for my 450. All in different sections of the sump. After getting up to temp they only turn on when I do water changes except very occasionally.if your fish are damaging your heaters I suggest that route. If it is just bad heaters that sucks but you might try contacting the manufacturer and see if they might send you a new one free.

LS2012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Northern NJ
I use Sera heaters. The company has fantastic customer service and has warranties on their heaters, I think it's either one or two years. Last year, the thermometer readings weren't clear on one I'd had for a few months. I contacted the company, emailed them pics at their request. I had a new one in 4 days and they let me keep the old one. There's a cover over the heater so it gets extra protection.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Eheim heaters are great....they are all I use
X2

It's worth spending some extra $ on equipment that lasts and that you can rely on.

That's cheaper in the long run, and better for your fish and your sanity.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
Aequeon heaters are shatter proof - I like them for big bruiser cichlids like Trimacs...250watt is as high as they go but two of them would cover your 135 easily.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store