Middle brace cracking ! What Can I do?

CanadianKeeper

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2012
Ontario
As the title reads, im not sure if this is recent or not. I purchased the tank used. Unknown of the manufacturing year.

It hasent crossed the whole thing. Just the top, can I Do anything to help stop this?

005.JPG

006.JPG

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
^ That wont hold for long in my opinion. My 220 has this problem and with 4000 pounds of water its scary... The only fix I have had is a 30inch pipe wrench. For now that works great but long term its kinda ugly to look at and have many form posts about industrial epoxy that will basically melt and form the two pieces to one piece. If your tank's width is less than 24 inches than you can get a replacement frame easily.

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
I had the same thing with my 50 gallon when I got it, filled it up and snap top cross broke I was headed to work so I propped a broom stick in front to help wedge it (it was bowing about 2 inches) well that night I drained the tank and went to my lfs and bought a new top was cheap and easy just remove old and replace new I was lucky I was home when it popped but you may not be so lucky id fix it ASAP ! Maybe make some wooden braces to put across it till you have time to drain it

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
Frames if its under 2 feet (they dont ship 24 inch wide frames lol)
http://www.aquariumframeswholesale.com/

Pipe wrenches
Just go to lowes and find the one that screws onto a pipe you buy seperately just in case it happens to a different dimension tank. This way you can buy a new pipe for 10 bucks instead of buying a new pipe wrench that cost like 30 bucks lol. I'm at work but I'll let you know the one I bought cause its working great.

Trim bonding
Use any 5 min plastic weld epoxy

Heres a helpful link
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1835199

ponce77

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2010
Bay Area
That happened to me to, my middle brace cracked on my 46g bow front tank, I left it set up for a year or so with no problems, just sold it last week. You might be able to order the whole top plastic frame thru somebody if your worried about it, better safe than sorry! GL

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Glasman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2009
Kentucky
I broke the center brace on my 120 (48x24x24) moving and glued it back in place with gorilla glue and it has held fine. If anything it doesnt even seem to have any pressure on it anyway.

CanadianKeeper

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2012
Ontario
Hmm all some good advice. There is no bowing of the tank at all.. I might try some silicone or wait to see if it gets worse. It looks more like something done while moving then from the tanks water.

Squirtle919

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Within Earth
silicone tends to not bond well to plastic, this does vary depending on the silicone - plastic.

You can weld plastic which would be the best option diy route but its not easy if you have no experience, the only other idea I can think of is metal welding a frame right around the rim of the tank & silicone this into place. A plastic glue may work but how supportive it will be I have no clue.

if you can replace the top maybe the best option.

Me personally if there is no bowing I would leave it but I am not exactly right in the head with these sort of things xD

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store