Guppy Plant Tank

Masa06

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Hello, I am returning to fish keeping after a hiatus and I have some questions. I have a 20 long that I want to put guppies and possibly some other livebearers in (I plan to keep some fry and feed some to my turtle). I was wondering how many guppies I could put in there and what other fish would go well with them, also what plants would be good in the tank. Thanks for any help!

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
If you have plants you can start with a pair and they will do the rest. Most others small community fish get along just fine with guppies.

Masa06

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
What fish would you recommend specifically and how much? and what plant species? I want to start with as many as possible because my little guy eats a lot.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
What fish would you recommend specifically and how much? and what plant species? I want to start with as many as possible because my little guy eats a lot.
Like someone stated earlier get guppies let nature take its course, as for plants Java fern would work if you don't want to buy special bulbs for growing plants, Java fern do not require bright light.

evojoey

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2008
Turnersville, South Jersey
You could do platys, swordtails and mollys. Get a pair of each. All do well with guppies. All live bearers, and won't mess with your plants. Java fern and Java moss are very easy to care for.

Masa06

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
okay, about how long does it take guppies, mollys. platys etc to reach sexual maturity after birth?
EDIT: Would I be able to put a kuhli loach or two in the tank? They look really cool.

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
You could do cory cats, ottos if it's highlight; most livebearers would be fine. Most anubias, Java fern and Java moss as suggested would all be fine as far as plants go. Your plants are heavily dictated by the lighting you have, if it's a fluorescent bulb like the ones that come in kits then you'll mostly be stuck with the ones listed. Fortunately those plants are hard to kill, they can be planted minus the moss, or tied to driftwood, rocks or even floated if it tickled your fancy. If u get multiple pairs of livebearers you could end up with an excess of fry. Tetras, dwarf cichlids, pretty much anything including the parents will consume the fry. Plants will hide them especially java moss, and any livebearers will probably spawn with relative ease. Ultimately depending on your plants and filtration you can get away with a decent number of fish, but lighting will dictate the plants you can have and to an extent how many. With a little more info we could help tailor a stock and plants to your interests, but ultimately you have a lot of options even in a tank as small as 20 gallons.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Masa06

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
So would I be able to have 1.3 Platy 1.3 Guppie and 1.3 Molly? Is that too many fish? How many cory's would work with these?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store