Juvie pike ID - marmorata?

LuluB916

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2013
United States
I may have made an impulse buy from Snookn and should have done a little more research first. I have doubt now that the fish I bought really is a trombetas marmorata according to Snookn after finding pike juvie photos. It looks more like a Venezuela/Strigata than a Marmorata and I may have overpay.
I found pics of juvie marmorata on old thread and they clearly have dorsal markings. Any insight is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1404878723.800000.jpg

LuluB916

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2013
United States
First pike and first online purchase. Looks like juvie pikes can be hard to ID. It's about 3-3.5". Snookn is also a reputable and honest seller. Gotta cast my doubt away for now.

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
The tail is the main obvious give away. They're 100% marms. I'm seriously considering picking up one of these but idk yet if I'm gonna go all out crenicichla or get a group of 4 odoe tiger pike. Plus can't have friends and fam tell me I spent a 3 digit amount on a brown ugly fish haha

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

LuluB916

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2013
United States
Yeah, I feel ya. I waited the longest time to pick a pike up and finally settle on that one. It was between a lent or one of the red pike (atabapo/Tapajos) until Snookn had some marmorata.
Talking about the odoe pike, I might get one. I saw one at my LFS at 12" and it's stunning with its tail, body and fin coloration. I've seen juvie odoe pike and never really paid attention, but I find them better looking than ATF. The marmorata is just chilling with my kelb, NTTs and ITs in my 110 grow out. Hope to see it getting colorful when I move him to my 300g.

LuluB916

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2013
United States
Pike is already showing signs of aggression toward the kelberi bass. It doesn't seem to bother the datnoids, and appears to be picking fights only with the kelberi, which is about 5" and twice as thick. Damn, on to dither fishes.

freebyrd

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2010
Virginia
Begging for pics I want some marms so bad...no room tho

Sent from my SM-G900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I find housing any pike with another torpedo shaped fish, and similar shaped mouths, seems to brings out aggression in any but the largest tanks (Parachromis, Cichla, Lepidiolamprologus, etc).
Yet combining high bodied, dissimilar mouth shaped fish with pikes in a tank as small as 150 gals, can be surprisingly calm (Acarichthys, Guianacara, Gymnogeophagus etc).

freebyrd

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2010
Virginia
I've done the same I have tapajos II pikes with geophagus severums and acaras in a 265

Sent from my SM-G900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store