Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Looloo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2012
Singapore
Why not use media from an established filter

Yeap I am doing that too! But the Media I have for that tank would not treat to the bigger tank I'm transferring to.
I am also currently putting new media into the tank with fish and swapping it out after 2 days!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Ninjouzata

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2013
Georgia, USA
Ammonia would be easier to measure, I think. You just don't want the kind with additives.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Most of the ammonia released by fish is from the gills, and very little from defecation. If I understand the biology, animals in water typically don't need to expel excess nitrogen in the forms used by animals outside of the water, so the waste is really mostly waste---probably ash, bone, shell or other indigestible materials. It contains very little ammonia, unlike urine for example.

Seems like you'd need an excessive amount and would have little accuracy. I'd choose pure ammonia or if not that, simply dose the tank with fish food. I've used both methods with 100% success. Ideally, a mature seeded filter medium would be great and there are commercial products that can help as well.

Looloo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2012
Singapore
Most of the ammonia released by fish is from the gills, and very little from defecation. If I understand the biology, animals in water typically don't need to expel excess nitrogen in the forms used by animals outside of the water, so the waste is really mostly waste---probably ash, bone, shell or other indigestible materials. It contains very little ammonia, unlike urine for example.

Seems like you'd need an excessive amount and would have little accuracy. I'd choose pure ammonia or if not that, simply dose the tank with fish food. I've used both methods with 100% success. Ideally, a mature seeded filter medium would be great and there are commercial products that can help as well.
Wow that's really interesting information I never knew it was from the gills I always thought fish poop was the source of ammonia! Thank you! In singapore we only have ammonia bicarbonate so ill most prolly try to use the bicarbonate and fish foods!
Thanks a lot for enlightening me!

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I would try testra safestart I cycled a yank im less than a week with it

Looloo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2012
Singapore
Sweet ill go get the safestart! Here's a pic of my setup ! Been dosing the water with ammonia bicarbonate,API Strezs zyme and also swapped half my media from the tank with fishes ! Was thinking if I should add a prawn or two to quicken the cycling since I have seeded mature media !

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1405001187.911215.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store