What Tank To Put An Extra Filter On?

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Got a used marineland penguin 200 (rated for 50 gal) from a friend that got out of the hobby. Well I want to put it on one of two tanks but I can't decide which it would be better for. I'd either put it on:

-A 30 long with a stock of 1 female green sunfish (probably will be 2 greens soon), already has a sponge filter rated for 50 gallons running on it.

-A 20 tall with an eventual stock of 5-6 shiners or dace (probably SRBDs), 2 Greenside darters, and 2 rainbow darters, already has a sponge filter rated for 50 gallons running.

I know the 20 tall will be more heavily stocked but the sunfish are messier so I'm stumped on which tank to put the hob on. Which do you guys think it would be better on?

marscortes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 4, 2006
Fiji
if your going to put 2 more sunfish in the 30 i would put the filter on the 30. But for now i would put it in the 20 tall.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
if your going to put 2 more sunfish in the 30 i would put the filter on the 30. But for now i would put it in the 20 tall.
Just one more sunfish, two total. The stock for the tanks now is 1 green sunfish and 2 Greenside darters in the 30 and in the 20 there's about 20 cutteri cichlid fry and a few snails.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I'll put it on the 20 for now and if the bioload of the sunfishes gets to be to much I'll put it on the 30.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I was going to out it on the 20 but turns out there's no room behind the tank for a filter so I out it on the 30. Although it's making a LOT of noise that I can hear from the other side of the house. Where as the same exact filter on my 30 tall can only be heard faintly if you're on the same room. I definitely can't have it making this kind of noise, especially since it's in my dining room so does anybody know how to fix this? Otherwise I'll probably take the filter off.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Ok so I figured out that the noise is because the bio wheel is spinning extremely fast and sloshing water everywhere so how should I slow it down?

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Couldn't figure it out so I took the filter off. I'll probably just give it to somebody who has a fish room since I doubt this much noise would contribute much to the noise of the room. Just can't have that kind of noise in a place in my house where people have quiet conversations on a daily basis.

Ok so I figured out that the noise is because the bio wheel is spinning extremely fast and sloshing water everywhere so how should I slow it down?
That's what it is supposed to do. They aren't a filter for the person who demands silence. They do get a bit quieter as the biowheel matures, but if silence is your desire, go for a canister filter.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
That's what it is supposed to do. They aren't a filter for the person who demands silence. They do get a bit quieter as the biowheel matures, but if silence is your desire, go for a canister filter.
I have the exact same filter on my 30 tall and it's been dead silent since day one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store