Glass or acrylic for rays?

specialized002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
I know everyone has an opinion, I know acrylic is lighter. Weight is not a factor, looking for thoughts on acrylic vs glass for rays. Those of you that have rays in acrylic...do they scratch it with a sand bottom? How hard is it to keep the acrylic looking good? Thanks guys

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
Acrylic sucks big time! Rays scratch it, and bite it.

Wish i had a local company that would come build big glass tanks right in my basement

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
No problems with my hystrix in acrylic. Probably depends on the ray species and size.

B_IN_SD

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2006
Sturgis S.D.
My female Leo bites the silicone on my glass tank, I am always worried she will bust the seal. My male Leo is in acrylic tank and bangs the rocks into the tank floor pretty hard when he knows it's feeding time. Imo it's a judgment call based on what decore you want in the tank.

specialized002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
I would like to do some sand with a nice center piece of driftwood. Rays are a male hystrix, female marble/bd, and female bd/pearl. Still on the fence with sand or bare bottom...opinions?

MEDHBSI

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2011
Coquitlam BC
if weight isn't a problem id say glass for sure as long as its very very pure (starfire) glass because acrylic is very clear compared to glass.

jeffers

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2009
southern indiana
if you are brave enough or put in a divider you can sand the scratches out of the inside without draining it. a lot of reefers do it and at larger aquariums as well. its just acrylic floating around that your filter should catch. just have to sand it down then back up. its what I love about acrylic.

flamenco-t

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2006
South of Heaven
I've heard acrylic can / will yellow over time?
Your rays will bite and chew the hell out of the acrylic before it'll get to turn yellow. It all depends on the size, I bought my tank brand new 5 years ago and I didn't see any scratches while the rays are all under 12", now that they're up to 22" in diameter, my tank is pretty scratched up. Enough to where I will be pulling them out and re-finish them in a year or so.

I never hdd any substrate on the tank, always been bare bottom

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store