Should they reimburse me?

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
So for a while now, I've been having problems with my tanks and had no idea why. Fish haven't been eating and/or dying randomly and I had no idea why. Well last night I got an automated message saying that they've found harmful chemicals in our city's water and not to drink from the tap for 2 weeks. I have no idea how long these chemicals have been in our water but I'm 99% sure this is the reason why my fish haven't been doing well. I know if there's an unplanned power outrage and my fish die, they'll reimburse me cuz I've done it before. Should the water company do the same thing cuz the ones that died were definitely the most sensitive of them all, goonch cats, African tiger fish and fw dolphin (M. longirostris).

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
I think people have had nearly no luck getting reimbursed. If you contact them they might say something along the lines of that the water isn't guaranteed for fish or is only intended for consumption. That said, if they admitted they have harmful chemicals they might just pay out to avoid any trouble; or so I'd hope. Realistically there is no reason not to try.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
If you lose power and your fish die the power company will reimburse you? Sorry but I'm calling BS on that.

I agree. Please supply information for proof.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
It might be different everywhere but they reimbursed me last year cuz it was an unplanned power outage and when it turned back on, everyone's power went back on except for my street and it took them 3 days to get a generator so we could have power and another week for it to be completely fixed. My entire street was reimbursed for all food that went bad during the 3 days without power. Then a couple neighbors and I asked to reimburse our animals cuz I lost a bunch of fish and a snake cuz it was winter and 1 neighbor lost a couple tropical tortoises and another lost a few lizards. We all got reimbursed for them

Edit: I have no way of proving it since it happened last year and all they did was send us all checks. It doesn't really matter to me whether you guys believe it or not because it is irrelevant. I just want to know if I should even try or not even bother.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I personally would try. You spent lots of time, and money on those fish.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
You could always try to get reimbursed but they may require actual proof that whatever is/was in the water actually caused the death of your fish.

I just find it odd that any utility would pay for loss of pets but I'm not saying it isn't true. I can't see that happening in Ohio, unless it was major livestock deaths and even then I think the utility would fight it.

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
Harmful chemicals?

I would worry about human safety in your household first. What kind of chemicals?

I would bet on it that your fish could have died due to that. Spooky really...If my water company said they found chemicals in my water I would figure out what kind.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
This would depend on if those chemicals were added at the water provider (by negligence), or whether some other party spilled or allowed chemicals to poison the ground water, or lake, water supply.
If it is the 2nd, then the water company is also the victim, and you would need to to sue whomever the 3rd or 4th party original polluter is.
Although water suppliers can treat for many things, if someone illegally (an example is the coal company in Virginia that poisoned the water supply with leaking storage tank chemicals) or accidentally contaminates the water, the water supplier cannot always magically make the water safe. Best available technology is not always up to that task.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store