ID Please? and Question about groups

LaurenD

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2014
United States
*And my question (because I accidentally hit post before typing it):
What should I take into consideration when introducing polypterus into a new tank, especially regarding differences in size? Are they likely to be very violent with one another if one is significantly smaller than the other?

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
Polypterus endlicheri, it really depends on the species. Endlis like you have are known to be cannablistic when young and will often eat anything that can fit in their mouth including other polypterus.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
That is a baby Endli it will loose those external gills, as for violence its very possible even to the point of bigger bicher trying to eat much smaller one. What I have always done is growout smaller poly in seperate aquarium until they were atleast over half of other poly's size. Also keep this in mind some of the lower jaw species are more aggressive. Endli are one of the lower jaw bicher.

LaurenD

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2014
United States
Thanks for the answers!
And that is one cool little endli!! Love the colors. :D

The only other poly I have right now is a young delhezi who's about 5ish inches long. This endli is only a little over 3", from what I can tell. Should I keep them in separate tanks for a while, or...?

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
They should be fine for now, but I've heard stories of people who had a similar situation with an endli being small and a 5" or so delhezi/Senegal or even other endlis and the smaller endli caught up in growth and ended up eating the other poly. I would just watch as it grows for any aggressive behavior. If all goes well there shouldn't be any problems, but I would still keep an eye out just to be sure

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store