Frozen

scott s

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2010
Indiana
So I have a question for you guys, does anyone here feed frozen foods to the rays?

I'm not talking frozen and thawed I'm talking fishcicles straight out of the freezer.

Not that I plan on doing this exactly, but there are many times that the food is still cold so I will warm it up in the microwave until it is room temperature.

Would there be any negative affects to the health of the ray if they were fed frozen straight from the freezer?

Comments?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

gorak

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
mn
I feed mine frozen. It depends on their mood. Sometimes they will destroy them others they won't eat them until they are thawed.

They can be picky.

aquaman45

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2009
England
Because of the manner in which rays feed I would always suggest thawing any food first. Swallowing huge amounts of ice quickly before its had time to thaw cannot be natural and could cause long term health issues. Fish such as Plecs that rasp at for example on a frozen Mussel will not cause any problems, within 5 minutes the food will have thawed in any case due to the tank temp, 5 minutes from frozen in the gut is a different matter.

I'm sure many people do this and haven't noticed any problems but how many people have kept their rays 10 years or more feeding this way.

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
I just keeping cycling the food from the freezer to the fridge. That way it is always defrosted before going in the tank.

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
I always thaw food first. Put the frozen food in the fridge the day before so its 90% thawed the next day. Then just rinse in water and your good to go

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
I have always used frozen

By the time the prawn hits the base it's near if not fully defrosted

I find it less messy in you feed frozen

I have also found new born pups are more interested in the colder prawn

We all feed our own way and my wife says I'm a bit compulsive the way I feed my tank as everything has to be done a exact way and order OCD

scott s

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2010
Indiana
Thank you all for your replies. They are much appreciated. Seems to go both ways.

What peaked my interest on this subject is a man that basically makes fish cubes using various ingredients for his rays. He just takes him out of the ice cube trays and drops them into the tank.

I cannot say that I will feed completely frozen, but hearing these comments does relieve any fear of feeding cold food to the rays.

As with most people here, I am sure time can be an issue. For me, feeding the rays is the last thing I do before bed. So when if I forget to set out the food and let it thaw, feeding can become an annoying chore.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

litigator666

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
clayfield, qld australia
I have always used frozen

By the time the prawn hits the base it's near if not fully defrosted

I find it less messy in you feed frozen

I have also found new born pups are more interested in the colder prawn

We all feed our own way and my wife says I'm a bit compulsive the way I feed my tank as everything has to be done a exact way and order OCD

Did tested this and its true that before it hits the bottom its already defrosted. Only prob i have on a fish eating ice is my poor mans arowana as he intercepts the food as it hits the water. Well i think he is tough enough to handle it as he is still alive.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store