Moving should I bag or use a container

castro1212

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2012
metairie louisiana
I'm moving about a hour away and not sure if I should bag my fish or just put them in a container. The reason being I have no battery operated bubbler would they be fine in a container with out one or should I just bag them? My fish are 2 fh one is 7"+ and 4" then I have some danios

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
You should really get a battery operated air pump. They are cheap and you can them at most places that sells fishing supplies (like Walmart). If you're not able to do that, then I would put them in 2 separate 5gal containers with plenty of water and get them to their destination as fast as possible.......before they run out of oxygen.

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
you think they'll get more air in a plastic bag than a plastic container?

an open container will provide more air than a closed bag. you can also supplement the O2 by scooping a cup of water out and pouring it back in repeatedly. I kept many fish alive that way during the Northeast blackout of 2003 I would also dose with something that converts ammonia.
nylon screen across the top will help keep them in the bucket.

crashwl21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2009
griffith indiana
you think they'll get more air in a plastic bag than a plastic container?

an open container will provide more air than a closed bag. you can also supplement the O2 by scooping a cup of water out and pouring it back in repeatedly. I kept many fish alive that way during the Northeast blackout of 2003 I would also dose with something that converts ammonia.
nylon screen across the top will help keep them in the bucket.
+1

Sent from my SM-N900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
Open containers tend to splash compared to bags. I like to use trash compactor bags for long relocation trips. You can still put a bubbler in there too.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
an hour is nothing in a poly box with lots of water... they woulkd be fine in a large double bag too imo... dont feed them for 3 days before the move so they arnt pooping if its cold where you are use a heat pack. and you will be fine... fish are often sent over seas in bags for 2-3 days at a time.

TRENT

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2007
OREGON
an hour is nothing in a poly box with lots of water... they woulkd be fine in a large double bag too imo... dont feed them for 3 days before the move so they arnt pooping if its cold where you are use a heat pack. and you will be fine... fish are often sent over seas in bags for 2-3 days at a time.
^^^^ best advice right there.

pshtex

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2010
united states
for an hour trip bag em and go. The nearest fish store to me is 2 hrs and i have never had an issue with this and the biggest fish that i have traveled 2 hrs with was about 5.5".

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
Fish are safer in a bag than a container. When moving, fish can injure themselves against the sides of a container. Double bag the fish as stated above.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store